Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

100% CPU from a single process. Reboot required

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 rincewindwiz

rincewindwiz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:38 AM

Hi,

After a malware infection, I have had to restore from an earlier image. This has solved the malware problem but bought with it an old problem to which I never found a solution (It eventually - after 3 or 4 months - just went away!!)

Computer Toshiba Tecra M5 Twin Core 2GB RAM running XP Pro SP3. All windows updates applied.
Scanned with TIS 2010; Malwarebytes; Asquared and nothing found.

The computer operates normally and then, under no one single set of circumstances that I have been able to figure out, one process will start to take 100% of the CPU (according to Taskmgr). This slows the computer right down. Often it is possible to kill the offending process (which is usually, but not always, windows explorer) and continue working. If the offending process is restarted immediately, it will again take 100% CPU. If it is restarted some 5 or 10 minutes later, it often works normally. The other favourite candidate to take 100% is Firefox but I expect that this is because these two processes are mostly always active.

Sometimes (often after the 'fix' of killing a process) killing the offending process will simply result in another process taking 100% CPU. In these circumstances shutting down the computer results in a lot of different processes refusing to be shut down and windows requesting the user to kill the process. Eventually, it just becomes easier to turn the computer off.

Any suggestions as to how to fix the problem would be gratefully received

KR
R

PS - if at all possible, I really do not want to re-install the OS as its an OEM machine that does not come with a proper copy of Windows XP (just a recovery CD which sets the machine back to the condition in which it was purchased) because I would have to back up the data from my D partition; Reapply the image; Repartition the HDD; Resintall SP3; Reinstall windows updates; Reinstall all the software; restore the data; set up the mail accounts etc etc.

EDIT: Moved from XP to Am I Infected forum ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 05 July 2010 - 09:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users