Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8/Win 7 64 bit browser problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:40 AM

I have been using Windows 7 having skipped Vista along the way, and generally I find it to be pretty darn good. However, I have had one main problem with IE8.
I don't much care for Firefox - mostly because I don't find it to be so easy to get along with, add-ons and all that malarky with Firefox seem to go right over my head and my brain freezes. So please don't recommend getting it, because I won't :thumbsup:
I can get IE8 to work in general, but there are times when it just freezes, and doesn't do anything. If I exit the browser, re-launch it, then select to restore my last session, it goes on strike and refuses to do anything once again. I'm always clicking to go back to the homepage, which is a workaround more than a solution. Anybody got any ideas as to the solution 'without' having to change the browser I'm using?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:40 AM

Troubleshooting IE8: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows...cles/44681.aspx

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:08 AM

Two things I would start off with is setting I.E. 8 to default and removing add-ons. The only thing I use is add blocker. IMHO I would also have Mozilla Firefox for backup. If for what ever reason I.E. won't work you can go on line and get help using Firefox. I have found that Firefox is like I.E. the more add ons you use the slower it works. Which one is better is up to each person.

#4 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:21 AM

Two things I would start off with is setting I.E. 8 to default and removing add-ons. The only thing I use is add blocker. IMHO I would also have Mozilla Firefox for backup. If for what ever reason I.E. won't work you can go on line and get help using Firefox. I have found that Firefox is like I.E. the more add ons you use the slower it works. Which one is better is up to each person.

I only have a PDF helper and the Flash add-on, that's IT. No more. But it's still slow as heck. And it still hangs forever....it's either a dodgy website posing as a legitimate one with no malware or anything, or my connection is really just rubbish. Thanks for the info anyway.

#5 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:25 AM

Troubleshooting IE8: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows...cles/44681.aspx

:thumbsup:

10/10 for that post...really helpful. I think this case is closed!

Edited by MarcusW, 05 July 2010 - 10:25 AM.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:33 PM

Thanks for reporting back :thumbsup:

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators