Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB front ports, "...over current error"

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RaygunShaun

RaygunShaun

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:05 AM

The two front USB ports of my Dell Inspiron 530S have recently stopped working. While I believe the bottom one actually is broken, the top one seems fine. However, no USB device I plug into it works. I've also been getting the apparently common "...over current error. Press F1 to continue..." message on startup. The back USB ports work perfectly. What exactly is going on?

Edited by RaygunShaun, 05 July 2010 - 05:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

Could you please post the entire error message that you are getting

Thanks!
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 RaygunShaun

RaygunShaun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:49 PM

I believe it's "USB over current error. Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup"; everything before "over current error" is cut off. It's the same message as the one here.

Edited by RaygunShaun, 05 July 2010 - 05:51 PM.

#4 RaygunShaun

RaygunShaun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:24 AM

Any chance of someone helping with this? It's getting to be a difficult problem.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 02:28 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am familiar with the error you are receiving, it is referring to you use a USB port that supplies enough power to power up the device.

This happens when USB ports are placed away from th motherboard and ribbon wires make the link between the port and the motherboard.

However, plugging the same device into a USB port located directly on the motherboard the error goes away.

The port connection on the motherboard has enough power coming from it, the problem is the wires are too small to Handel the current flowing through them, thus windows suggests you use ports that supply more power.

The USB ports that are directly soldered to the motherboard have enough power to power the device, so the notice goes away.

Solution: Rewire your front panel USB ports with heavier gauge wire or use the ports mounted on the motherboard.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 EdgeDeGreat

EdgeDeGreat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

Mr Bruce i just wont to let you that i love you ok ive been searching every ware for answers no one could help i even called my ITT tech teach he couldnt and you just simply summed every thing up in a single sentence man really i love you bro no homo but if ur that way then ok lol thx alot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users