Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

intermitten detection of 2nd HD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MumaSue

MumaSue

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:53 AM

Hi everyone

My 2nd HD has just started to drop off the face of the earth. One minute its there and then the next it isn't.
Every time I reboot its back and everything seems very happy then when ever it feels like it .. pooooof no sign of it on my computer or the device manager.

On its last scan by HP Hardware diagnostic tools it failed the random and funnel seek tests on one sector.
Is this HD starting to fail or is it a software problem?

My PC info

PC: HP Pavilion a6313w
OS: Windows Vista Home Premium with Windows Media Center (32-bit) SP2

I have not altered any hardware.

Processor: Athlon 64 X2 ( B ) 5000+ 2.6 GHz (65W)
Chipset: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Motherboard: Asus - M2N68-LA [HP name: Narra2-GL8E]
RAM: 2g 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 640 GB (2 x 320) SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec) - WDC WD3200AAJS-65VWA
DVD Drive: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive
Modem: 56K bps data/fax modem [have never used]
Video: Integrated graphics
Sound: High Definition 8-channel audio * ALC 888S chipset
Network: Integrated 10/100 Base-T networking interface [This is used for my internet connection]

That seems to be the important info, if anyone needs anymore just ask and I will try to provide.

Thanks for your help

Edited by MumaSue, 05 July 2010 - 03:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,271 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:50 PM

When a partition/drive starts to disappear from My Computer...that's a sign of trouble coming.

I'd take a look in Event Viewer for any errors reflecting "disk" in the description...and I would be concerned about the possibility of file system damgage or hardware failure. Either will wind up with possible loss of anything on the current partitions exhibiting problems.

I'd move valued data and then run the appropriate Western Digital diagnostic on the hard drive, electing the long test, not the short.

Louis

#3 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

To add to what Hamluis suggested, I have have seen occurrences of drives doing this before.

An easy fix was suggesting the user try disconnecting the data cable from the hard drive and plugging it back in again at both the hard drive and motherboard.

The result was the drive worked and the problem went away, it can be caused by a loose connection, or corrosion build up on the connections.

Try this while the computer is off, power disconnected and ground your self to the computer case, disconnect the data cable at both ends and reconnecting it again, reboot the system.

Please report back the results.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#4 MumaSue

MumaSue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2010 - 11:34 AM

I know its taken me some time to rely here but thought I would let you know what happened.

I ran the western digital diagnostic on the HD and it failed every time. The PC could see the HD, ran the diagnostic and the HD vanished before completion of the test. Yep sign of big trouble.
Decided to start backing up online and boy does that 1st back up take forever. In fact I only got 5% of the drive before the PC could no longer detect it.

I also tried disconnecting and reconecting the data cable but still no sign of the drive.
I had to be away from home for a week and when I got back it seems several members of my family had tried to take a look at the PC including blowing out the dust bunnies. The CPU heat sink was removed, air blown and heat sink replaced. Now the PC is dead as a dodo with reports from some suggesting ionization.

Yes they bought me a new PC but now I have to transfer data from the HDs [one of which might not be detectable] to my new pc.

Thanks for your help here and I honestly think the drive was going bad but didn't have enough warning to get the data.

Edited by MumaSue, 07 August 2010 - 11:35 AM.

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 PM

Posted 07 August 2010 - 01:34 PM

I am both sad for you and happy.

Sad you may have lost your data :flowers: , happy you have a new computer :trumpet: .

It is always best to do backups as often as you can, I have windows 7 set to automatically backup my C: drive to E: drive every week, usually sundays, believe me, it saved me once already. :thumbsup:

Thank you for checking in with us.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users