Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Balloon Tips registry entry keeps reverting to active

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 neutrino2009

neutrino2009

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:20 AM

I have placed an entry into my registry based on information located elsewhere on the Internet, basically creating an entry that allows you to enable balloon tips or to disable same. Over the last several days I have noticed that the balloon tips have begun reappearing on their own without me having changed the registry entry. I have reentered the correct setting on at least three occasions, only to have the balloon tips reappear after the next boot cycle. I have recently installed a few new software programs and updated a few others:
uninstalled AVG antivirus and replaced with Avast and updated the definitions file and performed a full system scan with no resulting infection.
installed Auslogics BoostSpeed program, which appears to be working just fine.
Installed zone alarm, free version, which appears to be working fine.
installed Dragon NaturallySpeaking, which is working fine, and in fact is being used to create this post.
Installed Skype, which does function, however I suspect that Skype is the root of the problem.
I have also recently updated my flash player.
I am using Windows XP home edition service pack three on a Dell Inspiron 1520 with 4 GB of RAM, and a dual core with T7250@2.00GHz

I would appreciate any assistance or insight that anyone may have regarding this issue.

Kind regards.

Edited by neutrino2009, 05 July 2010 - 01:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:56 AM

this is microsoft's solution http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307729
is this what you have done ?
possible windows updates may have modified registry

#3 neutrino2009

neutrino2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

Yes. That is the exact registry entry that I modified to disable balloon tips in the past and it is also the one that is being changed by methods unknown to me. Windows update is disabled on this machine, but I run updates for security patches every 2 weeks. I always reset this same registry entry after doing updates, because the update frequently changes it. Updates have not been run for over a week, and this issue manifested after that point.

#4 neutrino2009

neutrino2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

Does anyone else have any insight into this issue? Or do things generally take longer than this to resolve? Perhaps I am impatient?

Thank you.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

sorry about your wait, i just got back from a funeral. i have no idea what program would change that entry if not windows. you could try deleting the entry, effectively enabling the balloon tips. reboot to save registry. add key again and set value. reboot to save registry and hope it sticks this time.

#6 neutrino2009

neutrino2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had not tried deleting the entire key and starting over. I will give that a shot. I cannot stand it when programs think they need to tell you about every bloody thing that they are doing or that has happened and then force you to interact with the popup to make it go away... very irritating

Anyway, thank you for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users