Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU not diverting when running games

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Uberstroker

Uberstroker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hi, for the past couple months I have run into trouble while playing games. The two examples I'll use are World in Conflict and Civilization IV. When I run either of these games, they'll will run optimally for about a minute, but then will drop dramatically in performance (about 7fps), rendering them nearly unplayable.

I'll open task manager to find the processor running happily at 99% with computing not slowed down from the open game (since I have a single core, intel pentium4 this is usually affected). In addition nothing seems to be sapping processor power, it just seems to be unused. I have recently reformatted on a clean harddrive but this has not resolved the problem so I'm really not quite sure what's going on. I'm fairly certain this has nothing to do with video settings or things of that nature since these games have worked fine in the past. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!

system info:

Manufacturer:
GBT___
Processor:
Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory:
2048MB RAM
Hard Drive:
250 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT
Monitor:
Default Monitor
Sound Card:
SB Live! Audio [A000]
Speakers/Headphones:
Logitech
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Operating System:
Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:02 AM

video card .. overheating(fans working?), failure, drivers ? try another vid card to test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users