Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uxtheme Patcher caused slow and unresposive Windows Explorer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 steevz

steevz

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:25 PM

Yesterday I decided to give uxtheme patch (for changing Windows 7 skins and creating new GUIs.) a go and so i ran a uxtheme patch, this is when the trouble started.
The uxtheme patch overwrites 3 files in your system 32 folder (it also just renames the original files so you dont lose them) so that you can use unsigned windows themes.
Somewhere i think this failed but i thought it was all cool because i knew i could just go back into the sys32 folder and go back to the original files.
Since i ran the patch my windows explorer has been running like a 2 legged dog.
When i open explorer up and try to look at a drive it takes 30sec to a minute and takes the same to open any folder after that, and when I click the folder again because its not responding the window goes white and gives a “not responding” message but if I then leave it for a little longer the folder then opens.
I have restarted the computer in safe mode and the problem doesn't exist. My question is, how can I determine what is causing this? I have uninstalled the uxtheme patch and even gone back to windows classic look but the problem wont go away.
Help!

p.s. The computer runs fine with other programs, it seems to be just windows explorer and anything related to that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 steevz

steevz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:26 PM

I've tried System Restore but the point was after I did the patch and it did nothing. I've also tried taking the system files from my wifes computer that uses the same Win7 installation and it didn't work. I don't know what this is pointing to.

I'm trying to do a repair install (upgrade) but that isn't working right now either. It says I can't upgrade x64 to x32 and I can't upgrade x32 to x64 and I'm trying to upgrade/install over x64 to x64 and have tried numerous times.

#3 Andy2400

Andy2400

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:15 PM

Hi, I've got exactly the same issue with Vista 64bit. Starting to get desperate! Have you had any luck with this?

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:01 PM

Did you guys try the SFC /SCANNOW command yet?

#5 Andy2400

Andy2400

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:14 PM

Yeah, I tried that. Didn't work. I've tried placing the shsvcs.dll, themeui.dll and uxtheme.dll files back from an existing Vista 64bit machine. I can get the Vista theme back, but the system runs like a slug.

Do you think upgrading to Windows 7 will work? I'm desperate to get this install up and running again and doing a full reinstall will cost me days.

#6 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:23 AM

I've tried System Restore but the point was after I did the patch and it did nothing. I've also tried taking the system files from my wifes computer that uses the same Win7 installation and it didn't work. I don't know what this is pointing to.

I'm trying to do a repair install (upgrade) but that isn't working right now either. It says I can't upgrade x64 to x32 and I can't upgrade x32 to x64 and I'm trying to upgrade/install over x64 to x64 and have tried numerous times.

Given that the upgrade isn't working :huh: , I'd say you're only solution right now seems to be to just format the hard drive - do a fresh installation, start with a clean slate, and don't use the same patcher again, or at best, just don't bother with 3rd party patching. That sucks, because Windows themes are getting worse and not better, and they STILL don't allow for a fully customizable theme :huh: . I patched my system because I don't much care for a wallpaper changer - which is all the 7 themes seem to be about, which to me has 'dull' written all over it. If you have an original OS installation disk, or a recovery partition (which is what my system has), then just go with that. Slap the disk in, restart the system and go from scratch. Just make sure you stick all your wanted stuff on an external hard drive or something before you do that though.

:thumbup2:

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:39 AM

All the uxtheme patches I could google, were for beta versions of Windows 7.
Anyway, you can upgrade from Vista to Windows 7. Read this article.

#8 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:04 PM

Just out of complete and utter curiosity where did you get the theme patcher from? There are some patchers out there that work perfectly well with final releases of 7 - but I'm wondering if you ended up with one of them or not?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users