Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help adjusting settings in bios or elsewhere

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ray3point0

ray3point0

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

hello ive never asked a question on a forum like this so please ignore my horrible typing and please help me:) around a year ago i built this computer. i was never really happy with it but it wasnt bad enough to make someone as lazy as me screw around to much with it. in the last month ive upgraded my memory to 8 gigs my operating system to windows 7 64 bit and my monitor to a led lcd samsung 23 inch. my question here is as i read the specs i get from crap cleaners speccy or from pc pit stops tests it doesnt jive with what i have installed on my computer leading me to believe i need further adjustens in bios or something. but im scared :thumbsup: so i was wondering if there is a how to adjust your bios for retards program or something like that. any help would help a ton as im new to this ill try and list everything i have dont be shy to tell me whats rubish etc etc
windows 7 premium 64 bit
8 gigs or corsair 1066mhz dominator ram ddr2 2 gigs per stick
samsung px 2370 led hd monitor 23 inch
9800 gx2 video card
evga 780i mother board
intel q 9450 processor
wd raptur 300 gig hard drive
cheiftec 850 watt power supply

for instance speccy says my hard drive is 7200 rpm and it should be 10k and says my ram is pc 6400 when it should be pc 8500

thanks a lot in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

Well...let's examine something first. Your first premise is that...component detection and everything following...is accurate.

Those summary findings which sites like PC Pitstop and others so love...those are highly dependent on two things:

a. Individual system configurations for hardware.

b. Individual system configurations for software.

Why is this? Very simply...you and I can have the same system...but if I have twice as much RAM installed as you...our performance parameters will probably vary. If I have SATA II hard drives...and you are using PATA hard drives, there is probably a variance. If my system has minimal programs installed, while yours has anchors like MS Office, iTunes, Real Player, Adobe, etc. installed, I win.

If your system is underpowered or marginal...while mine if well-powered, I would imagine that performance might suffer.

If you use DDR, while I use DDR2...my system outperforms yours.

And so on...that's reality, IMO.

If the assumption is made that only certain elements of a system are tested by a given piece of software, I can buy that for something like RAM, to some extent.. To some extent, I can buy it for the CPU. I cannot buy it for hard drives, which is a key component in any testing. I don't know much about GPUs, but I can accept the premise that functionality there can be tested on a level playing field.

In short...I'm somewhat skeptical of these "statistical averages" that are thrown out as a basis of comparison.

The one thing that (IMO) we know about computers...even when apples are compared to apples or identically configured systems are involved...performance/problems vary.

That's the view from someone not a technician, not a professional...just an experienced user.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 04 July 2010 - 07:28 PM.

#3 ray3point0

ray3point0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

i do love the fact you took the time to respond to my post. thanks a lot i do know programs like pc pitstop are not great but they do give some information. i would like a lot to be able to adjust my computer for its best performance. if you can not give me advice on that why bother responding?

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 01:12 PM

Well, we havent exactly got a problem, just a I dont think its performing like it should because of pit stop. Lets go into more of this. Does windows recognize your processor and its full speed? and all the ram? and in the Bios, does it recognize our CPU and all ram, running at the right speed?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 ray3point0

ray3point0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:25 PM

im scared of adjusting stuff in bios because i dont really understand it. i would love to find some guidlines on what does what and what should be changed to do a certain thing. i cant seem to find some sort of basic bios adjusting information. with my ram it shows i got 8 gigs but describes it as pc 6400 when it is pc 8500 i changed the mhz in bios and the volts but it still shows pc 6400.also it says my hard drive is 7200 rpm and it should be 10k rpm. more or less im asking for a lil school here. even a link to a good artical or something i can read would help. thanks

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

is the hard drive a variable speed hard drive? if thats the case, it will idle at 7200 RPM and only go up to 10k if needed. Have you contacted EVGA customer support over this? they would know the exact setting you need or if there is a problem. Also, what is the FSB set at for your processor? With intel CPUs the bus speed for the CPU needs to match or be higher then that of the memory. That CPU bus speed is supposed to be 1333 mhz (I believe its 333 mhz in the BIOS, someone correct me if Im wrong) so if the FSB of your CPU is set to low, it will result in your memory running to slow. What I would do is check your BIOS-dont change anything-find the CPU section, and post what your FSB (Front Side Bus) speed of your CPU is reading at and we shall go from there.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#7 ray3point0

ray3point0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:31 PM

the hard drive reads the correct model in the bios. im not sure if its variable speed or not first ive heard about that :thumbsup: model is wd300glfs. ok now in bios i noted a few specs
cpu freq mhz 2665.6
fsb reference clock mhz 1332.8
cpu multiplier 8x

you guys are all great

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

After conferring with a buddy of mine, I think that the problem is your FSB is a bit slow, Try upping the FSB up to 333, and if it still wont recognize the ram as 1066 mhz, up it to 400. and see if that makes any difference. If the system becomes unstable set it back or reset the BIOS, but it seems to me that may solve the problem. And please post your results either way, that way we can try something else if it doesn't work, or if it does, other users can see it and learn from it.

Edited by the_patriot09, 05 July 2010 - 11:24 PM.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users