Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When you hear a siren ?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:18 PM

When you hear a siren ? Did you ever wonder, what was going on ?

In this high tech 21st century, don't you think we deserve to know ?

I mean for the last 5-10 min. sirens are pretty load hear a the police are still screamin around with their sirens on, this is a small quaint tourist trap, I live in.

The fire trucks were out cause I heard them honking, wouldn' or don't you think you have a right to access up to the minute information data as to what is taking place ?

Or would you rather read the news paper (local) the next day, or if it's big enough, wait for the News, and they will keep telling you it's a big story but first here's another commercial, then they'll do that a couple of times, you turn off the station and try to forget the whole thing !

Ah yes, the Land of the Free !

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

The only reason I can think of that you would have a right to know is if it directly affects your health or safety. Other than that why not let the those who have chosen to make being a first responder their profession do their jobs without wasting a fraction of a second which could mean life or death. I can see it now, a police officer or paramedic racing to do their job while compiling a soundbite for the media so we can be informed.

How would you like to be the one they are helping, and the First Responder tells you hold on a second while I tweet your condition so everybody will know why we are here?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

No Jove.. I have a tendency to agree with Animal. Sure.. I always wonder and want to know what is going on when I hear sirens but just because this is a free country does not mean it is my business to know this. My curiosity means nothing to them.. or to the people in need that they are responding to. As a citizen I do not want to be part of making a problem worse and interfering with law and fire officials because I want to know. I am just rubber-necking and to be honest.. I think it is disgusting when people think they have a right to the gory details.. I wonder how many people have been sorry they say something that they wish they never saw.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

LOl Animal, I had my wife read my response before I posted it (it said the same thing you said) and she said I better not chance it, so I didn't. I even mentioned twitter in it.

Jove: Can't you buy a scanner if you are that concerned? The police/fire/rescue are on specific (low) bands and are right there on the air waves to be plucked. That's how the media gets there. They have someone who monitors the frequencies on a scanner. I dare say they even tape it for accuracy. Here is a link for you.

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

OK, fine, that thought was circulating when I wrote this, but, how about soon after, I'm not asking for a sound bite from the emergency personnel, but from the county and it's management, . .

I think all Americans may not deserve peace of mind but it is something they need.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

Death Stalker,

Ok let me check that out, I don't think I am going to get a scanner, but lets see.

Everyone else don't get upset ! Will get to a peaceful conclusion

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#7 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

If there is need to know for the public.. rest assured they will tell us. Like in the instance of a chemical spill or something like that.. you will be evacuated pretty quickly lol

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#8 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

Yep, I'll wait for the service of providing an web access reporting service, . .

but you would not believe my thoughts on this, simply would not believe me.

I always want to know, always ! What there up to ! :thumbsup:

Since, I am on the verge of being notably noticed as a skeptic, this is one time I am going to

hold my tongue.

Oh, Well, its nice to know your all out there, and hope your gonna have a really good 4th.

Edited by Jove, 04 July 2010 - 05:02 PM.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:59 PM

Ok, lets ask this question....

How many people are going to stop and hesitate before dialing 911 knowing their call will be used as the basis for a 'county wide' notification.

I would expect a bit of confidentiality when dialing 911. Not have to hesitate knowing my words will be used for the reporting 'blotter'....

And don't you think the ambulance chasing lawyers wouldn't have a field day dissecting the chain of events to make sure that making this announcement did or didn't add to the victims pain and suffering?

It's a very fine line between right of privacy and the public's right to know.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#10 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:00 PM

If there is need to know for the public.. rest assured they will tell us. Like in the instance of a chemical spill or something like that.. you will be evacuated pretty quickly lol

I wish I shared your confidence................. :thumbsup:

#11 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

Ok, lets ask this question....

How many people are going to stop and hesitate before dialing 911 knowing their call will be used as the basis for a 'county wide' notification.

I would expect a bit of confidentiality when dialing 911. Not have to hesitate knowing my words will be used for the reporting 'blotter'....

And don't you think the ambulance chasing lawyers wouldn't have a field day dissecting the chain of events to make sure that making this announcement did or didn't add to the victims pain and suffering?

It's a very fine line between right of privacy and the public's right to know.

All that IS public record and IS released to reporters and lawyers. There is no confidentiality when dialing 911. As to a "right to privacy?" There is none. Show me that right in either the constitution of this Country or the Bill of Rights. These people are calling the Government, IE the PUBLIC for help. Transcripts, not to mention the recordings themselves for a limited time, are available for any incident that is reported to the PUBLIC 911 system. It's our system, we pay for it. We have the right (in the Constitution) to know what our Gov't is doing with the money they stick a gun to our head and take from us.

Does that make sense to you?

Edited by DeathStalker, 04 July 2010 - 05:07 PM.

#12 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

OK !

I would be very satisfied to have a report the next day of each time a siren sounded in my

county and why, . . .

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#13 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:10 PM

OK !

I would be very satisfied to have a report the next day of each time a siren sounded in my

county and why, . . .

Don't be lazy lol. You can go ask them. How much are you willing to pay, especially in these economic hard times, to hire yet another useless Gov't drone to pay to publish a report every time Mrs. Jones stupid cat ran up a tree and couldn't get down. If it is "news worthy" the local or Natioanl media will report it.

#14 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:29 PM

Are you kidding !

Heck No they have to write out a report, it can be transcribed digitally for the public.

Hey I don't need a cop, going to his girlfriends for lunch to blow his siren, especially when I have to listen to every commercial vehicle with a truck license to back up around every corner collecting bottles on one day then another day for trash, then construction beeping the beepers all day long, the lawn mowers mowing that neighbors lawn on Tuesday this one comes down for the week end and mows on Sunday, the other neighbor mows on Tues day and the guy across the street mows on Thursday. and all this goes on week in and week out.

Then look at the State, I don't think you have any idea what major crime investigation is capable of but it ain't much, if you want to know why unsolved mysteries which was a biggy ain't gonna be replaced because statistics are what mind controlling politics is all about, and if you think I'm off the Wall then Jesses Ventura is out in space!

I said this was gonna be one of those times I hold my tongue, didn't I

Lazy Heck No, they Owe Me that Much!

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

@ DeathStalker. I thank you for your facts and agree with you. I should have been more clear.

I live in a large urban area and it would take a staff of 20 to tabulate all the emergency calls made in 24 hours. Not to mention the mountain of paperwork the county requires to release the information. Sure you can have it and the public is legally entitled to it. Just see how many people want to do the dog and pony show to get it.

Now lets get interesting.......

Who's going to compile the information from the Federal (6 agencies I know of), State (7 agencies), County (7 agencies) and City (3 agencies) that respond or have the capability to respond with emergency capabilities that would be heard and fit the previous criteria. I'm sure somewhere I missed somebody on the list.

EDIT: Can you say jurisdictional nightmare and posturing. :thumbsup:

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users