Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

a TV computer?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stocker

Stocker

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:37 PM

What do I need or not need for building a "TV" computer? I want to be able to watch TV shows and do things like downloading and play on that computer. I won't mind to spend much but this computer is only for jobs like watching movies/TV shows.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

The word you are looking for is "HTPC"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdispla...&forumid=26
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_theater_PC

You can get by with relatively inexpensive components if all you need is a basic system that can play DVD/Blu-rays and stream video. AMD has some neat boards with 785G/880G chipsets that have everything (video/audio etc on the motherboard) and it works well enough for a basic system. Pair it with an inexpensive Athlon II and 4 gigs of memory and you have an almost ready to go system. I am not sure of the hardware Blu-ray decode on those chipsets. Consider power and heat when planning your system.

If you need a more capable system, something you can game on for example, you get into a system with a dedicated video card. I recycled my old system (IP35 PRO/E6750) along with a new video card (HD5670) and a 7.1 soundcard (no name VIA chipset) for HTPC use. You can build a strictly AV system, or build a system closer to a standard PC spec. I found after I built mine, it needed a card reader so the family can look at photos and movies we took on our various outings. Then it needed bluetooth to pull pics from our phones etc. That's the point of a PC, you can customize it to your needs.

Stuff I ran into:
If you are fitting your HTPC into a component stack, pay attention to the size/color/finish of your case. Make sure your case fits the motherboard (ATX/MicroATX etc.).
Remote control. You don't realize how much you miss a remote till you don't have one.
Noise (see power and heat above). Having a bunch of 120mm cooling fans cranked up on your gaming rig may be allowable. An HTPC should preferably be quiet so components that can use less power and run cooler, and can do it continuously, are a big plus.

Edited by dpunisher, 04 July 2010 - 06:32 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:45 AM

Do you think buying a HTPC is worth the money? It seems quite expensive

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Do you think buying a HTPC is worth the money?

Only you can answer that.

Cost is relative, as it depends on what you have laying around. I got by for about $220 (HTPC case/Blu-ray drive/sound card/video card). If you have to pony up the cash for all new components, it might set you back $350-400 for a basic setup (integrated video/sound) plus an OS. No idea as to what the cost of a prebuilt is now.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 Stocker

Stocker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

Actually postpone HTPC next year and focusing on upgrading my current pc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users