Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Keeps asking for authentication >_<

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jayson201_*

Guest_Jayson201_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:15 PM

(You can just skip to the 2nd paragraph where my question is if you don't want to listen to my rants :thumbsup: )
Recently installed linux onto a 30gig partition.
I like the Idea of 2 different operating systems on one hard drive, and I made my dream come true :D
Ubuntu (It was sposed to be Kubuntu, but it gave me Ubuntu, whatever) is kind of a weird mix between Mac and Windows, leaning more towards the Mac interface, but still keeping out of copyright infringements, of course.

Well, I am exploring the entire system, The way I learned my way around a Windows Computer.
Well, for tooo many things (Like a mac) it asks me to put in my password, and it gets annoying....
Any way around that?'

Edit: Whats with the terms for Megabyte and Gigabyte? GiB? MiB? Any explanation on that?

Edited by Jayson201, 04 July 2010 - 03:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:16 AM

actually, Ubuntu is in no way related to MAC, it is a linux variant, that being aside, with modern ubuntu, no not really. The logic behind it, is originally, Ubuntu and other linux variants only had one administrator account (would only let you have one) that you could install stuff on and etc, called "root" because it was more secure. If someone were to manage to hack your computer while under your user account then chances are they cant damage your whole system, while if they get you under the root account they could. (I advise doing a set up like this with windows, one admin account to install anything on, but just use a normal user account when your surfing. downside is, unlike linux, you can have multiple admin acounts and its the default, while linux forces the issue) It got annoying every time you wanted to change anything on your machine to have to log off your user and onto your root account (you could access it via command prompt but it was just as easy to log out) so Ubuntu basically, turned the root account invisible, and any time you want to do anything with installing anything, you basically have to enter the password. if its an auto download it basically logs you onto root automatically, all you need to do is enter the password, if you decide to do anything via command prompt, you will need to log on and enter your password. Its a security feature, and a very good one if you ask me. However, since Linux is opensource, you can technically go into the source code and make it all the way you want it, though Im not knowledgeable enough to do that nor would I recomend it. If you really want that root user, Try a different flavor, OpenSuSe I believe still uses a root account.

As for their terms, I honestly do not have an answer for that, Ive often wondered the same thing.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:02 AM

Actually with Ubuntu they disabled the root account and provided a tool called sudo which elevates your access rights to what is allowed in the sudoers.conf or sudoers file located in /etc. Some menu options within Ubuntu require root privileges such as Update Manager and many tools located in the administration menu. Information on SUDO pretty much since the advent of Vista and Windows 7 sudo is like using UAC to make changes to your system at the administration level.

I find the sudo way of doing things even more riskier and I disable it on all my systems running ubuntu. If you want to know why then email me. The reasoning would violate the board rules I think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users