Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntldr Missing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 flyinlion

flyinlion

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

I just formatted the drive in my older Dell omniplex and thought I could just reinstall the OS (win 98 then upgrade to xp). Problem is, now I'm getting the "NTLDR is missing" when I try to boot from the win 98 disk. I think I should have gone into the BIOS and set the boot priority before formating the drive but I forgot. :thumbsup: What can I do now to get the system up and running?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:04 AM

Hi flyinlion.

You can't boot from a 98 CD. You need to use a floppy boot disk. You boot to A:\> (with CD support) and type the following commands:

CD X: (where X is the letter for the CD drive)
setup

and its that easy.

If you need a 98 boot disk you can get one from www.bootdisk.com. The last screen you see when you boot with one of those boot disks will tell you the drive letter that has been assigned to the CD drive. Its usually R: for some reason.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:58 PM

You CAN boot from a Win 98 CD and any subsequent Windows CDs, see http://www.windowsreinstall.com/win98/inst...dexfullpage.htm.

But...NTLDR is not a Win 98 file. See http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm.

Louis

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

I may be mistaken, but can't you just boot from the XP disk in your CD drive - and then insert the qualifying media (the original 98 CD) when prompted for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 flyinlion

flyinlion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:08 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Seems the problem was between the keyboard and the chair. :thumbsup: I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get into setup and BIOS to set it to boot from the CD. Well, everytime I tried to reboot, the F-lock turned off on the keyboard and the F buttons wouldn't work. I kept pressing F2 to get into setup until I finally noticed the little light on my keyboard wasn't on. I had to hit the F-lock button when the keyboard activated and quickly hit F2 to get into setup/BIOS and change the setting. After that, it booted from the XP upgrade disk and it was off to the races. I feel like a real idiot about now. :flowers: Anyway, everythings working now and the kid won't be hogging my machine anymore. Thanks for the responses.

Steve
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
-Benjamin Franklin

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:17 AM

Thanks for posting back and letting us know you cured the "problem between the keyboard and the chair". :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users