Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 captain fun

captain fun

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:29 PM

:flowers: i had a game called halo (a micrsoft game) for my computer and it worked fine until when i had to reinstall it and it will not install past creating files and i am100% sure it has something to do with run.dll.exe please help i have recently had to do a sytem recovery on my computer and i lost all my files i have anti virus software but i think run.dll.exe was still on my computer when the system recover was dune please help me or i will be left in the cold!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 captain fun

captain fun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 09:35 PM

what should i do?exactly? :thumbsup:

#3 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:04 PM

Hi captain fun :thumbsup: to the forums, I won't be able to help you much but answering these questions will help someone who can help you.

You had to do a system recovery, do mean a complete reinstall of your operating system or do mean a system restore to an earlier time? Was your computer infected with something? If it was, what was it? Is this why you did the system recovery? Why did you have to reinstall Halo? What operating system do you use? Was this run.dll.exe spelled exactly that way or was it spelled like this rundll32.exe?

Edited by Ronbo, 04 October 2004 - 10:06 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:18 PM

Hey me again. There are a few things you can do while waiting for someone who knows these things better than me.

Download these programs
Ad-aware Se http://www.majorgeeks.com/download506.html
Spybot S&D http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html

First install Ad-aware, then configure it like this;

After download and installing first, please update the program. Just open Adaware and click on *Check for Updates Now* and then *Connect*. It will find a new reference-file. Click *ok* and let it download and install the updates by clicking on *Finish* .This will return you to the main screen.

In Ad-aware click the Gear to go to the Settings area.

The following items should be on a green check, not on a red X.

Under the Scanning button:

Scan within archives

Under Memory & Registry, Check EVERYTHING

In Check Drives & Folders, make sure all of your hard drives are selected

Under the Advanced button, check ALL under Log detail level (this makes it easier for visitors to the Lavasoft Support Forums to see what options you have selected should you require assistance.)

Under the Tweak button...

Some of these may not be an available option, depending on your version of Ad-aware and your version of Windows. Do not be concerned if you cannot select a certain item.

In Scanning Engine:

Unload recognized processes during scanning

Include info about ignored objects in logfile, if detected in scan

Include basic Ad-aware settings in logfile

Include additional Ad-aware settings in logfile

Include used command line parameters in logfile

In Cleaning Engine:

XP/2000: Allow unloading explorer to unload shell extensions prior to deletion

Let Windows remove files in use at next reboot

UNCHECK: Automatically try to unregister objects prior to deletion

Click Proceed to save these settings.

Open Adaware, Press *scan now* and put a dot in the box next to *use Custom scanning options*, then click *Next* to start your scan.

Checkmark any items found after scanning to remove (this will actually put them in quarantine and can recover from backup if any should not be removed).

Reboot your PC after cleaning with Adaware and scan again. Repeat the process until no further items are found as bad.

Then install Spybot, update it and run it allowing it fix anything it checks for you. If it doesn't precheck an item for you, don't have it fix it.

Edited by Ronbo, 04 October 2004 - 10:19 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 captain fun

captain fun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:43 PM

thx for now i am downloading it as i speak :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users