Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee > No Tahoma > reinstall Office > no IP Address

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stanbrooke

Stanbrooke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:30 PM

I'm runnnig XP on a Compaq tower, Pentium II with 640MB. 2Wire 3800HGV-B Gateway to ATT Uverse. Office 2000 Professional.

Please, no "get out of the dark ages" comments.

Uninstalled some - but not all, evidently - Norton Antivirus 2003 which had expired and became non-renewable. I downloaded and installed McAfee which is free through Uverse.

I then used McAfee's Clean utility (don't remember the exact name) and got rid of lots of "stuff".

All seemed fine until I went to open Excel and got something like a "no tahoma font". I put in the Office 2000 CD as directed to repair, and somehow new copies of Word, Excel, etc got loaded and I could not open old data files.

I reloaded the OP CD and initiated the repair option, and all seemed great!

But now I can't establish a network connection. The pc just sits there trying to "Acquire a network address".

I tried to ping the gateway (at least I think I did) and could not. I tried ipconfig/release but there was no connection to release.

I reset the port from "obtain an IP address automatically" to forcing one that was in the domain of the gateway, and got 100MPS connectivity, but can't get to the internet - I get a page not found display no matter where I go.

I'm trying to describe this problem as best I can - can someone please help?

Thanks.

Edit: To remove unnecessary and excessive font size BBCode tags. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Those of us old enough...remember having PII systems...if you're happy, we are happy :flowers:.

What is this OP CD that you speak of? Was it provided by Compaq/HP?

Do you have instructions for using it, how to use it for repairs?

FWIW: Indiscriminate use of programs...to "clean" the system...may result in files being removed which are essential for proper functioning of O/S and programs. If this program purported to "clean your registry", then you may have done more harm than good by using it.

FWIW: Do not manually set your network connection...you want DHCP to do it automatically.

Did you take a look in Device Manager...to see if all drivers had been reinstalled...before fooling around with your connection?

Seems to me that the best result available now...might be using that OP CD and electing the repair attempt all over. Then check Device Manager to ensure that all proper drivers are installed.

Louis

I see "2Wire", does that mean you have DSL? You may have to reinstall the 2Wire software to have your connection work properly.

Edited by hamluis, 04 July 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#3 Stanbrooke

Stanbrooke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:01 PM

Hello, Hamluis, and thank you for your reply.

[i]What is this OP CD that you speak of? Was it provided by Compaq/HP? ... This was my abbreviation for Office Professional - I bought it way back when.

Do you have instructions for using it, how to use it for repairs? ... The first time I inserted the CD I was directed to by a software prompt to restore the Tahoma font. The second time I just decided to reinstall Office, but had the option to repair my current installation, which I did.

FWIW: Indiscriminate use of programs...to "clean" the system...may result in files being removed which are essential for proper functioning of O/S and programs. If this program purported to "clean your registry", then you may have done more harm than good by using it. ... So much for trusting McAfee!

FWIW: Do not manually set your network connection...you want DHCP to do it automatically. ... I ended up calling tech support at Uverse, and they told me to manually set it, and walked me through it. All seems to be fine now, thankfully.

Did you take a look in Device Manager...to see if all drivers had been reinstalled...before fooling around with your connection? No, I failed to look at drivers in Device Manager.

Seems to me that the best result available now...might be using that OP CD and electing the repair attempt all over. Then check Device Manager to ensure that all proper drivers are installed.

Louis

I see "2Wire", does that mean you have DSL? You may have to reinstall the 2Wire software to have your connection work properly. Yes ... but two other computers on the network - one cabled and one wireless - work fine.

This post has been edited by hamluis: Today, 04:19 PM

Soooooooooooo, as I mentioned above, I seem to be back in business with a static IP address. Uverse assures me I'm not the only one configured like this - misery loves company? - so I think I'll stick it out.

I'm upgrading PC's Tuesday, so hopefully this all becomes academic.

Again, thanks for the help.

Jeff

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

Good work on your part...if you have problems, post back and let us know.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users