Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Invalid Windows Image

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:40 PM

Whenever my Dad's computer turns on, it shows only the desktop image and the message:

"The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\System32\Browseui.dll is not a vilid Windows image. Please check this against you installation diskette."

I don't think there is an installation diskette. It's an HP and just has the HP restore disk of Win XP Home. I also have a regular Microsoft installation disk for Pro.

I can access the task manager, but I can't start new tasks; I just get the same message again. I also can't shut id down, restart it, or sign off the account. It will, however, still act as the printer server.

Help?

Lanscader

PS: If there is no other solution, could I remove his HDD, put it in my computer, and transfer my version of that file over to him?

Edited by Lanscader, 16 October 2005 - 07:49 PM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:53 PM

I googled this and came up with a fair number of free on line repairs, here's the first one that I came to.

http://www.pcdocpro.com/z5/pcdocov.html

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:04 PM

Thanks, but the computer won't even get to the point where I could access the internet or install anything. There's no taskbar or icons or anything.

#4 webjoyz

webjoyz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:44 AM

hi'
you may try this:
start in safe mode, with command prompt! important!!

then once booted in safe mode, insert the windows cd in, type sfc /scannow
this will check all system files and restore them in case of problem.
once the operation is done, type sfc /purgecache

reboot and tell us :thumbsup:

you may also do a quick repair, boot from cd, F8 on first screen for install and then "r" to repair the existing windows.

wz

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,300 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:53 AM

Deleting that file...and replacing it with another good copy...worked for others with this message.

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221005

Louis

#6 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:11 PM

ok. I started safe mode with command prompt, but command prompt didn't open, so I started it manually and it worked. I typed sfc /scannow and it said it could not scan system files. Then I took my XP Pro disk and booted from that, telling it to repair. It asked me which windows installation (there's only one) and then I got C:\WINDOWS> and I didn't know what to do. Help didn't help.

I'm thinking that if I somehow get the file I need onto a disk then use command to copy it, that might work, but I'm not sure. Browseui.dll didn't seem to be on the XP disk.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 09:57 PM

Lanscader - I don't fully understand what's going on with your system - what did you mean by:
"I started safe mode with command prompt, but command prompt didn't open, so I started it manually and it worked."?

Anyway, in case it helps here's a download link to your corrupted dll:
DLL-files.com

Try replacing your file with the download then retry the sfc /scannow.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 11:39 PM

What I meant by "I started safe mode with command prompt, but command prompt didn't open, so I started it manually and it worked." is that I hit F8 during startup and told Windows to boot in safe mode with a command prompt there. When it loaded, there was no command prompt (or I didn't wait long enough), so I used Task Manager to run cmd.exe.

For the dll, would I have to put it onto a floppy and use command prompt to copy it> Even in safe mode, I still get the same error and there is no taskbar or icons.

#9 webjoyz

webjoyz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:04 AM

hi'
hmm, I said safe mode for safety, the command prompt is here in the same place that usual, it allows you to run things with it.
s, when in safe mode use it as I said, but you can still do it in normal mode, the problem is if the faulty file is in use win can't repair it or replace it, that's the reason of safe mode!

if you plan to reinstall windows, type F8 ar first screen and then "r" for a repair of the system already installed.
you'll have to go through win update again as all updates will be gone!

hope it helps

webjoyz

#10 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:30 AM

When you boot Safe Mode with command prompt what you should get to is a black screen with the prompt C:\Windows\wherever> showing. No Window, no task manager, just the command prompt. Don't know what's going on with you. :thumbsup:

But, yes, if you can boot to windows in Safe Mode then open a command window and rename the original file to Browseui.old and copy across the downloaded file. You may have to set the Attributes of the old version before you can rename it. If memory serves the command is "ATTRIB filename.ext -R -A -S -H"

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#11 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:45 PM

ok. That sounds like it will work, except that I can't do squat in dos without a walkthrough. Can you tell me how to rename a file and copy the other one?

#12 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 04:17 AM

Oh, my aching head! I'll try but absolutely no responsibility taken for any ensuing problems...

Let's assume you have a fresh copy of Browseui.dll on a floppy disk and you have opened a command prompt window somehow. You should have a screen with a prompt like "C:\Documents & Settings\yourname>"

Type "cd \" without the quotes. You should now have a prompt "C:\>"
Type "cd windows\system32"
Type "dir b*" this will list files beginning with B. You should see Browseui.dll in the list. If not start again.
Type "attrib Browseui.dll -R -A -S -H"
Type "ren Browseui.dll Browseui.old"
do another "dir b*" and check the file is now called "Browseui.old"
Now put the floppy disk in the A: drive.
Type "copy A:\Browseui.dll" you should get a "1 Files transferred" or similar message.
Type "dir b*" again and check you now have two files named Browseui.
Type "exit"

Reboot and see what happens. Good luck! :thumbsup:

#13 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for the instructions (sorry to bother you like that). I just have one question before I begin:

Type "copy A:\Browseui.dll" you should get a "1 Files transferred" or similar message.

Does it already know where browseui.dll goes, or do I have to tell it?

Sorry to bother you again. Hopefully I'll try it after this.
Lanscader

#14 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

If I haven't lost my DOS skills over the years, the command should be:

copy A:\Browseui.dll C:\Windows\system32\Browseui.dll

Then do as the next to the last step says, and do dir B* to ensure that both the renamed file and the one that you just copied are in the directory.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#15 Lanscader

Lanscader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

ok. Thank you. I will not hold either of you responsible if anything unforseen were to happen :thumbsup:

Edited by Lanscader, 21 October 2005 - 05:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users