Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop PSU light flickering - on surge protector

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dancemat

dancemat

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Hello Everyone,

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop and the PSU green light dims and flickers. The laptop stays on and I am about to test it away from my house to see if the problem still occurs.

My worry is that it's the electrics in our house. As our TV, several other PC's and my mums laptop are having power up issues.

My point firstly is, the laptop PSU light should not be flickering at all should it?

The laptop is also plugged into a Surge Protector.

Thanks for any of your thoughts and comments. :thumbsup:

I can provide more information, I just wanted to ask briefly about why the PSU light may flicker or if it should at all. :-)

Also might add, that this happens when the PSU is under load i.e. within Windows.

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

My worry is that it's the electrics in our house. As our TV, several other PC's and my mums laptop are having power up issues.

Your TV is having power up issues? Are all these devices plugged into the same surge protector power strip or circuit in the house?

The surge protector power strip could be faulty.

Now lets say that is not the case, but the devices are are the same circuit from the fuse box.

Lets say you flip the circuit breaker does all these devices all lose power?

Is this circuit properly grounded to earth ground?

Are the neutral and hot wires reversed? Black is HOT white is Neutral.

You may have a ground fault in the house wiring, there are devices found in hardware stores that help detect ground faults. You just plug them into a wall socket and the lights tell you the status.

If it shows a fault, the back and white wires are reversed on the polorized wall sockets or at least that one that is being used by these devices.

The third uncovered copper or aluminum wire should be attached to a water pipe exiting the house or attached to a ground rod embedded in the ground 4 feet for Earth ground.

Unless someone knows the proper way to wire a house, it is a job best left to a licensed electrician.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 05 July 2010 - 02:32 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 dancemat

dancemat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:08 AM

Thank you for your detailed post, it was extremely helpful. :thumbsup:

I've borrowed a UPS device from a friend.

I've had no issues with it, whilst on that. We're also getting an electrician to have a look at the fault. As he's certain something is wrong.

Hopefully it won't be long before the issues are sorted.

Thanks for all your time. :flowers:

Kind Regards,

Matthew

Kind Regards,

Matthew M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users