Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: Buying a new computer for moderate gaming & work

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SecurityAlert

SecurityAlert

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:19 PM

So, it would seem as though the time for me to buy a new computer is approaching a lot quicker than I thought. My current computer, which is about 8-9 years old (I know, I know), is starting to make several loud clicking noises from the hard drive and it won't stop even if I clean it or move some wires around, which generally indicates failure for me.

Basically, I want to buy a new computer (preferably online) and I need one that suits my needs.

- I'm looking for a computer that is around $300-$600, that I can use for general internet surfing and gaming (but mostly gaming).
- I also would like a computer with a good bit of space because I have a lot of music files on my current bucket of crud.
- In terms of gaming, I don't play graphic intensive games like Crysis or Oblivion so I'm not looking to buy a big expensive computer (I'm trying to avoid ending up around the $550-$600 end of my budget, but it's ok if I did).
- I usually don't have many tasks running at once, because I prefer doing 1 thing at a time, so I don't really care that much about multitasking

I'm not very computer savvy but I did have 2 PCs in mind.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...=A180-0142%20CA

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...&CatId=4925

PS: I noticed that these computers come with integrated nvidia geforce graphics cards. Are those any good or do I have to buy/should I buy an actual dedicated graphics card? Thanks

I also wouldn't mind making a PC out of parts... But the thing is I have no idea what parts I need to build a PC and I don't know how to build it.

Edited by SecurityAlert, 04 July 2010 - 12:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

I also wouldn't mind making a PC out of parts... But the thing is I have no idea what parts I need to build a PC and I don't know how to build it.

If you're interested in trying to build you own, which isn't as hard as you might think, start another topic in the System Building and Upgrading forum.
Firing up your first custom build, is certainly a most gratifying experience.
Just list what the computer will be used for, and your budget.

Fair warning though, it can become very addictive. :blink:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 SecurityAlert

SecurityAlert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:13 PM

If you're interested in trying to build you own, which isn't as hard as you might think, start another topic in the System Building and Upgrading forum.
Firing up your first custom build, is certainly a most gratifying experience.
Just list what the computer will be used for, and your budget.

Fair warning though, it can become very addictive. :wacko:

I'm really nervous when it comes to building my own PC out of parts. I understand it can easily become cheaper than buying a pre-built one, but I'm scared that I might buy the wrong case or some parts might not fit :blink:

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:37 PM

That's why I suggested posting in the other forum.
Read some of the topics in there, and you'll see that the helpers are very good at walking you through the process, one step at a time.
From making sure the parts you buy are compatible, to properly installing everything, we won't leave you hanging.
If there's anything you have questions about, don't be afraid to ask.
That's what we're here for; to help you.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 SecurityAlert

SecurityAlert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

That's why I suggested posting in the other forum.
Read some of the topics in there, and you'll see that the helpers are very good at walking you through the process, one step at a time.
From making sure the parts you buy are compatible, to properly installing everything, we won't leave you hanging.
If there's anything you have questions about, don't be afraid to ask.
That's what we're here for; to help you.

Alright well, I made a topic in that section and I'm going to see how it goes. Thank you for the advice!

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:27 PM

You're quite welcome, SecurityAlert.
If it's something you decide you're not comfortable with, you can always come back to this topic. :wacko:

On a side note, when replying to a post, don't use the QUOTE button under the post, unless there is something specific in the post, that you want to quote.
Either use the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page, labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.
It keeps from cluttering up the board with unnecessary quotes. :)

Good luck with your build. :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users