Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

c drive has got critically low space(18 mb out of 60 gb) and is still losing more!!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sanchay

sanchay

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:43 AM

MY USED SPACE IN MY DRIVE IS ONLY 5 GB AND FREE SPACE IS ALSO 5 GB BUT THE TOTAL SIZE OF THE DISC IS 60 GB WHEN I ENTER MY C DRIVE AND SELECT ALL OF THE FILES(AND FOLDERS) IT SHOWS ONLY 5 GB USED(AFTER SELECTING ALL OF THE HIDDEN FILES) BUT WHEN I GO TO THE PROPERTIES OF MY C DRIVE FROM OUTSIDE IT SHOWS 55 GB USED any1 has any ideas of what is going on plz plz help me out guys i m very new to this place so plz ignore if i made some mistakes ty to all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:02 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

You did not specify what operating system you are using.

The next thing to ask is what program you have installed that is utilyzing that space.

I can not recommend any utilities or any further advice to you until post what operating system you have installed.

Kind regards.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 sanchay

sanchay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:12 PM

i am using windows xp (sp2 i guess)
as far as i can recall i didnt install any program in it by myself and all that i had installed b4 i moved them to another drive

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~ tg

#4 Thu Win

Thu Win

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hiya! This is thu from facebook. The latest Windows XP Service Pack is Service Pack 3. Most tech resources recommend updating to SP3. To update go to http://update.microsoft.com and download the service pack there.

It also doesn't hurt to run a couple of online scanners:
* Bit Defender Online scan
* Norton Online scanning

You also mentioned on facebook you ran a malwarebyte's full scan. Does it detect ANY malware at all? How about your default antiVirus?

Edited by Wikipedian, 04 July 2010 - 08:47 PM.

My Blog (http://tyw7.blogspot.com/) | Follow me on Twitter (@tyw77) | My YouTube Channel (http://www.youtube.com/wikipedian7)

Do you have Norton products and is still within subscription? Then why not check if you can UPGRADE for free to the latest version! Visit http://www.norton.com/nuc.

#5 mikea_304

mikea_304

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

sounds like a rootkit run c cleaner

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

FWIW: Running "c cleaner" won't be an effective remedy for a rootkit or any other malware item.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users