Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Updating Game

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 08:54 PM

pondering got me pondering today, with the questions about Firefox Bookmarks. Unless you are familiar with them, some techniques are a hassle.
I had done some trial & error with that subject, primarily to be able to save them to a file. A lot of work went into getting those web sites established as "favorites". I had renamed them, set up folders & ordered them to my satisfaction. Decided which to have on the toolbar, etc.
bookmarks menu, somewhat organized
manage bookmarks, full page
manage bookmarks, one folder's contents

So, with the click/drag function of the dropdown firefox bookmark menu in mind, I went to my start menu

Same function works here. For a month, any programs that hit this list simply joined the windows programs that were initiated here at re-loading the OS. As they were added they appeared. After more than a month, I know which I use, which I don't and how I use them. I simply reorganized, deleting some, leaving most, but while doing it I was reminded of updating. Were they all updated?
start menu, after moving things with click&drag

So begins the Updating Game. Based on the order that I put them, I update them. I do not have the auto-update feature enabled on any of them except the avg.

A2 is alphabetically first, it is a maintenance item & I just put it back on the HD yesterday. It is up-to-date.
A2 update status

I've been updating the core version 1.04 of Lavasoft ad-aware for three weeks, once a week. The new core version is 1.05. So, today I uninstalled it at add/remove programs & started the new version. It's first update needed was also d/l'd, making it now 1.05.1.
ad-aware update

Grisoft's free avg program is auto-updated. They do it frequently, and I can pause or minimize the window when it pops up.
avg is lookin' good. It found stuff last week for me. Bravo

It took 16:42 to update Pest Patrol. It's pretty thorough, and this is only a few days after installing it. New definitions.
update to 4.4.0.something

Next on the start menu is Spybot S&D, my favorite. It's also up-to-date presently. Here is how it looks when checking for one, which I always do before I scan. The last update was Friday of last week I believe.
spybot s&d calling home for guidance

Spybot refers to another program if you use it to immunize with, Javacool's SpywareBlaster. It is a state of unfinished work, currently listing over 3,000 crummy O16 ActiveX CLSID's. I like to keep it current. My immunization against problems of this sort gets improved by 5-10 entries each week, several of them coolwebsearch or lop.com. I use the "Find CLSID" feature constantly checkin' on HJT logs.
spywareblaster on duty, ready and able. You don't even need to run it.

Sygate's free personal firewall doesn't auto-update without upgrading to the pro version. Oh, well. Here's how you do it.
step one
step two

Word, Excel & Access by Microsoft all require periodic updates to keep abreast of those "malicious hackers". Go to Windows Updates. May as well use IE when doing so. The Office & other applications updates are found on a tab at the main window these days, I think. My issue right now is at the main window. I installed a 64MB video card the other day. It was fairly cheap, and probably made by Chaintech in 2002. Well it needs an update according to MS at the update center. I spent 30 minutes, twice, d/l'ding this 12.5 MB hardware update (optional) only to find at the last minute...it didn't install. Hmmm. Maybe I've got my IE set too tightly in configurations now. I really do tie it up with zone restrictions since I don't use it much.
microsoft recommends hardware update
microsoft sorta reverses it's advice, or at least didn't tell me it will be to no avail following it

Those two are at the top of my start list now...Internet Explorer & Windows Updates. You can't live with 'em, and I guess you can't live without 'em.
Next on the start menu list is iTunes, here for an encore performance. At one time, this handy data management free program was organizing about 60GB's of mp3's for me. I could edit tags, rip, burn & auto-organize the files. It takes a bit to tame it in the company of other players. especially with it's companion...the Quicktime TaDahh, but I like it...sans features like The Store, iPod programming, etc. Download/install decisions begin the domestication of it, or it'll run wild on the system, converting everything and auto-doing this n' that, though. Once you're familiar with the options, it's a giant among others when it comes to full screen modifying mp3 files. Of course, it occassionally is updated.
help, I need to update

Apple's Quicktime is needed for iTunes, and I find it also is in use at several websites for movies n' things. This time around the block I'm trying all of the add-ons to see which will ultimately be deleted in favor of other alternatives. Of course, there are about 20 things that may need updating, so for the sake of simplicity (if you can call it that) I did 'em all. Probably took an hour plus to do it. Results are as follows:
sygate asking if I really want all this stuff
quite a while before you'll get this message
top seven come with the standard model
the options list grows
finally, it's a fully loaded deluxe do anything for you edition. free

Windows Media Player, with version 10 already on board, likes to call frequently in all keeps of borderline spyware kinds of ways. "Bundled" for "seamless interface" efficiency, ya know? It's constrained somewhat by spybot & it's MRU cleanups, and configured to behave. Updates? yup, to get those cool visualizations that take up quite a lotta space on the HD. They are visually attractive, the kid in ya will love the improvements as they come out. I guess.

Firefox displayed a discreet arrow in the upper righthand corner of the browser window today. I had exchanged version 0.92 for 1.0PR (PreRelease) last week. With today's critical update, which took 10 seconds to perform, I now have 1.0.1. To check on that yourself,
navigate tools-->options-->advanced
checking for updates, which of course, it found none

That about does it for me presently. Just goes to show that with capability comes responsibility. Fail the Updating Game and you might sit home alone with malware or it's unsavory gang members for PC company. Ugh.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pondering

pondering

• Members
  • 313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 04 October 2004 - 11:36 PM

Phawgg................I must commend you, your folders are nice and tidy. :flowers:

My bookmarks were in pretty good shape when I exported them to FF. I spent a couple weeks on them a month ago. I have hundreds of bookmarks.

As far as updating goes, I think that is my middle name. :thumbsup: But ya gotta do, what ya gotta do. Not much of a point having all these programs if they are out of date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users