Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can memory be added to windows 98 ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WHITESOXFAN

WHITESOXFAN

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:31 PM

Have Windows 98. Original memory, 64MB. Now down to 5MB.Read where additional memory cannot be added to Windows 95 or 98, because of an inbuilt Microsoft flaw. Has anyone any knowledge or experience in this matter ? What will happen to computer when memory hits 0 ? Newbie here. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:38 PM

You should be able to add more memory. I think the "flaw" your talking about is the 512MB ram limit because 98 was not built to handle more than that. Is the "Now down to 5MB" your available memory?
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#3 WHITESOXFAN

WHITESOXFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:44 PM

Hi,
Yes, it is.
Thank you.

#4 WHITESOXFAN

WHITESOXFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 04:47 PM

Hi,
Just reread what i thought was a reference to not being able to add memory to Windows 98. What the article referenced as the ''fatal flaw'' was in regards to a ''special memory, unique to Windows.'' It is called''resource'' memory.The article claims the bad news about this ''resource'' memory, is that no matter how much memory your PC has, all that Windows can use for resources is 64 kilobytes. ( 64 )

The article claims no program can fix this, nor adding memory cure it. ''Apart from rebooting, which hardly counts as a fix, there is no way to cure this flaw in Windows, 95, 98 & ME. All one can do when resource memory runs low again, is reboot again.''

As a Newbie, i understand none of this. My question is this. I don't want to get rid of my Windows 98 computer, if by being able to add additional memory ( mine is down to 5 mb as of now ) will the'' resource '' fatal flaw make it impossible for me to run my computer.

Sorry, my explanation is not lucid in Tech language. Any advice will be welcome. Thank you.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:04 PM

The short and simple answer is Yes you can add memory and probably should..the "flaw" has nothing to do with the size of hardware memory. 128 will be good,256 would be better. Depends on your budget.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 13 May 2004 - 06:28 PM

WHITESOXFAN, I think you may be confusing RAM with disk space. I know information on your disk (hard drive) should be called memory but it's a technically incorrect term. When technicians refer to memory, they're talking about RAM. That's what raw, huckerJ & the article you read are talking about. And they are correct, you can add up to 512 MB of RAM to 98.

If you are talking about 5 MB available disk space, then you need to either free up some more space by getting rid of files and programs you don't use, or get a bigger or additional hard drive.

I can go into this a little more, but I need to know if I'm on the right track. Are you seeing the 5 MB number when you look at the pie chart in your hard drives's properties? That would be START>My Computer>right click your hard drive icon>properties.

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#7 WHITESOXFAN

WHITESOXFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:35 PM

Hi,
I am seeing info on Ram Idle download. Says,total physical memory, 64 MB. Available physical memory, 4 MB.

Thank you.

#8 Xemus

Xemus

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:32 PM

My experience with those types of programs is that they are pretty worthless (they use RAM to measure how much RAM is being used = counterproductive).
In Windows 9x,ME if you right click My Computer -> Properties -> Performance tab tells you how much you are currently using. What's you number here?
In Windows 2000/XP, CTRL+SHIFT+ESC and check the performance tab.

If it really is that low, you need to clean out some programs that startup, and probably upgrade your installed RAM. 64MB is tiny.

#9 WHITESOXFAN

WHITESOXFAN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2004 - 10:23 AM

Hi,
It says, ''system resources 70 % free. Virtual memory 32 bit.''

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic