Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Keeps Crashing

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alex26rn

alex26rn

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 05:39 PM

Im having problems with my games (espically battlefield 2) crashing. while im playing the game, the screen goes black, and my dcomputer does not boot up. i have to reset my computer for it to boot up.

my computer specs:
asus a8v delux motherboard.
ATI 9800 pro
1 gig kingston ddr 400 ram
amd athlon 3200 processor
ess audio canyon sound card.

I tried to update the ati driver to the latest one, and the game wouldn't work at all. i had to use a previous driver for it to work. now the game works for about 30 minutes and then it locks up. I doesn't seemt o overheat. I also tried to play with the bios settings, with mixed results.

thak you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:50 PM

Usually there's no problem with the video drivers (Did you use the WHQL certified drivers - they're certified, by Microsoft, to work with Windows)

I'm not familiar with your sound card - but you might try disabling it and seeing if that stops the crashing (but games are lousy without sound).

Also, you might try updating your BIOS and motherboard drivers to the latest available versions.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 alex26rn

alex26rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:04 PM

Usually there's no problem with the video drivers (Did you use the WHQL certified drivers - they're certified, by Microsoft, to work with Windows)

I'm not familiar with your sound card - but you might try disabling it and seeing if that stops the crashing (but games are lousy without sound).

Also, you might try updating your BIOS and motherboard drivers to the latest available versions.

I updated the video driver from the ATI webwite when it crashed.

I will try disabling the sound card.
the bios and motherboard drivers are all updated.
thanks.

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:40 PM

First thoughts: Get the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and check the web for game patches - is this mainly with Battlefield 2 or does it sometimes happen with other games?

Second thoughts: Power supply rating? Overheating? Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download
Temperatures, voltages and fan speeds are shown under Computer>Sensor.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 alex26rn

alex26rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:27 PM

First thoughts: Get the latest ATI Catalyst drivers and check the web for game patches - is this mainly with Battlefield 2 or does it sometimes happen with other games?

Second thoughts: Power supply rating? Overheating? Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download

this mainly happens with battlefield 2. it happens between half an hour to 1 hour into a game.
I also downloaded the everest program, but im not computer savy enough to use the data it gives me.

Everest download

this mainly happens with battlefield 2. it happens between half an hour to 1 hour into a game.
I also downloaded the everest program, but im not computer savy enough to use the data it gives me.

here are the temperature readings.:

motherboard 27 C
cpu 33 C
hard drive 45 C

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:51 PM

Those readings look fine but no Graphics card temp? (not all cards have a sensor)

Run Everest just after starting the PC and copy the readings then play battlefield for ~15 mins or whatever doesn't crash the machine, exit and immediately run Everest again. Post your temps and fan speeds.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 alex26rn

alex26rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 08:09 PM

Those readings look fine but no Graphics card temp? (not all cards have a sensor)

Run Everest just after starting the PC and copy the readings then play battlefield for ~15 mins or whatever doesn't crash the machine, exit and immediately run Everest again. Post your temps and fan speeds.

the readings are after playing for 15 minutes bf2 without a crash :
28 motherboard
36 cpu

39 harddrive

I don't have a graphics card reading
4500 rpm

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 05:51 AM

Ok. No problems with those temps.

Any joy on a game patch? (I know nothing about battlefield 2) What version do you have now (e.g. 1.02, 1.03 etc.)?

Looks like you are not the only one to have this problem:
EA Faq

Edited by Rimmer, 19 October 2005 - 06:05 AM.

#9 alex26rn

alex26rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2005 - 09:10 AM

Ok. No problems with those temps.

Any joy on a game patch? (I know nothing about battlefield 2) What version do you have now (e.g. 1.02, 1.03 etc.)?

Looks like you are not the only one to have this problem:
EA Faq

I have the latest patch for the game.
I will keep trying other things.
thanks for the help

#10 guest332o039r52j33r2

guest332o039r52j33r2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:40 AM

When i play BF multiplayer after 5-10 min it crashes to windows without any error. Doesnt occur during single player. Message at the beggining of the game says i need to update my video card. i try to update it and nvidia says it cant find nvidia on my comp. im sure i have it, can someone tell me how to get nvidia to recognize it.
Thanks

#11 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:18 AM

guest332o039r52j33r2

:thumbsup: to BC, your comments on alex26rn's problem are appreciated but please start a new topic for your own question re the nVidia drivers. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users