Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Script pulling topics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sefket

Sefket

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

Hi,
I have a Invision Power Board and it is a gaming forum for the game "Runescape". People do "Player Kill" videos for entertainment for the game. They post topics about their videos, people watch them and post what they like and not like so they improve their videos. So what I'm asking is, is there a way to put a script so when people post their Player Kill videos in a forum for it and it's a brand new thread with no replies, it grabs the URL and puts the topic name on the forum description? I wanted to have 5 videos on the forum description in a [list] form.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:28 PM

I'm not at all familiar with IP board (I only have experience in PHPBB and SMF), so I need to know a few things first off.
1. What is it programmed in? Is it PHP or ASP or Perl or what?
2. Is it hosted on a server that you're allowed to modify the source code to your needs and to where you can modify the database?
3. If so, is the database MYSQL or Postgre or something else?

As long as you have access to the code and database it IS possible. I just can't tell you exactly how until I know a bit more information.

#3 Sefket

Sefket
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

I'm not at all familiar with IP board (I only have experience in PHPBB and SMF), so I need to know a few things first off.
1. What is it programmed in? Is it PHP or ASP or Perl or what?
2. Is it hosted on a server that you're allowed to modify the source code to your needs and to where you can modify the database?
3. If so, is the database MYSQL or Postgre or something else?

As long as you have access to the code and database it IS possible. I just can't tell you exactly how until I know a bit more information.

1. PHP and HTML I believe
2. Yes
3. MYSQL

#4 Adam17

Adam17

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:55 PM

Okay, then this is most definitely possible. Now idk how in depth your programming knowledge is, but here is the general layout of what you would need to do.
1. Connect to your MYSQL DB with PHP
2. Pull the post from whatever table holds your posts where the forum id matches whatever forum ID the videos are posted in. Set limit to limit it to only 5 posts being pulled out
3. Select the title, id, and whatever other information you want from the Post
4. Set your information to easy to work with vars (such as $title, $id, etc.)
Now I am assuming that IP board is like PHPBB in the sense that it uses templates. What I mean by this is that each PHP page has an HTML page associated with it where the actual HTML for the output is put. This is where you would need to edit whatever template was controlling the list of your forums (which is probably where your forum description is). Wherever you want to output to appear in the description you will have to put your output info from the above script. You'll also have to program something in to make sure that this only displays on the forum description you want. For example, if the forum was identified by a variable called $forum_id and the forum ID you wanted to display on was 2 you could do something like:
if($forum_id = '2')
{
CODE HERE
}
Like I said, I know very little about IP board, so I'm not sure if I can be much more help. If you have a programming question I may be able to help though.....

Edited by Adam17, 06 July 2010 - 04:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users