Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi bridge with two Wifi routers?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Liger_XT5

Liger_XT5

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

I know it's possible to have a Wifi router in one house and a wifi computer in another, have the computer connect to the wifi and bridge the Wifi and Network together. That works all well, but the computer has to stay on all the time.

I just moved back to my home town and will continue to go to college (20 min drive). I'm living in the next door house from my family. I can run a line over head, but I get the feeling that is kinda lazy. I could run it through a pipe under the ground, but there is, not just one, but two drive ways between the houses.

The only choice left that seemed logical was using my dorm room router, Netgear (love it!) and the Linksys router in the other house that is used as a wifi/hub. (The main router is the 2wire in the shop that has access with the internet.)

I've looked around in the settings on the netgear, and it doesn't have anything that I'm looking for. Suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

It would have been possible with two WRT54G series routers ( the versions where you can load the 3rd pary firmwares ), I don't much about your netgear stuff.

If you don't have it though, I suggest you get a repeater since you said that you live next door with you family. That should not be too far.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users