Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Integrated Dell Grapgix Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Flex2slick

Flex2slick

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

Here it goes. I have a dell dimension 8110, with an integrated graphix card and no agp or pci express slot. I was going to buy a pci card for gaming, mainly half life 2 and ff11. Luckily my friend had a pci card so i popped it in and poof NO VIDEO, out of the pci card or the integrated card, but as soon as i take the pci card out the video comes back out of the integrated card. i went to the dell website and found that some dells need to change the boot order but i cant find directions for my pc , can anyone gtive me some advise,

also, I am building a new comp and i do need a pci express video card, if anyone has one they might want to sell to my send me an email, like i said i dont play realy new games but i want decent frame rates. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

To use a PCI video card...you probably have to go into the BIOS/Setup...and disable the onboard video.

Boot the system...XP should detect the installed PCI card and use default drivers.

Then install the appropriate drivers for your card, which will replace the default drivers and provide you with more options for resolution/performance.

Louis

#3 Flex2slick

Flex2slick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:45 PM

what if i dissable the integrated card, then wen i restart with the pci card in the machine, and it still doesnt work, then the integrate card will be dissabled, how do i reinable it without any video? Or will this not happen?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

how do i reinable it without any video? Or will this not happen?

This can happen, the simplest solution is to clear the CMOS data, either using a jumper on the mainboard, or by removing the CMOS backup battery for a while. It can also be done by performing the necessary key sequence blind to enter the BIOS setup at bootup and revert the setting. That's more difficult.

Is your system actually a B110? If so, the onboard graphics is Intel 865. The standard implementation for this chipset is for the onboard graphics to remain enabled if a PCI video card is installed, and a BIOS option to select the primary video from AGP to PCI enables a PCI card to be used as the boot display and Windows primary display. But this can be changed by the manufacturer of the motherboard according to their own wishes.

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-004712.htm

If the PCI card you're using does actually work, that suggests Dell might have done it differently. Normally if you just add a PCI card as you've done, the onboard video still operates as normal, and Windows finds the PCI card as a secondary display.

Also, if you fitted the PCI card to the PCI slot closest to the CPU, try another one. The first PCI slot often shares the same interrupts as the AGP (which the onboard video is using), and this can create a conflict.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users