Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

multiple issues, including "operating system not found"

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pchateme

pchateme

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:37 PM

I relied heavily on this forum about a month ago when my laptop wouldn't load my OS (Vista Home Premium)- I was getting a message of "operating system not found". After some research, I used rkill and MBAM to clean off the bankerfox.a and nuqel viruses. This seemed to due the trick. However, on Wed, when trying to start the laptop, Windows didn't load and I got the message "invalid system disk, replace the disk, then continue". After several attempts to get into safe mode produced no results, I was able to get in and select a previous restore point. Unfortunately, when I did this, I restored to a point when Vista SP2 was installed.

I used rkill and MBAM, but this didn't solve the problem. There may have been some things that showed up on rkill and MBAM the first time, but it didn't fix the problem. Rkill continues to identify "C:\Windows\system32\DllHost.exe" when run (it lists it twice) and MBAM shows nothing. Also, I ran Superantispyware and Spybot more than once, but they're not showing any results either (other than tracking cookies).

I've downloaded Hijack This and have a recent log if necessary. The problems have varied....at times it runs slow, other times (as now) not so much. Upon shut down, I often have a hard time getting the system back up. Yesterday I had significant problems getting into safe mode but not booting normally. At other times, I've not been able to boot normally and have gotten the "operating system not found" message again.

Another issue is that I can't download the Vista SP2 update...it's failed numerous times. I'm wondering if this has anything to due with some of the problems I'm having. After downloading CheckSUR (System Update Readiness tool), I was able to download the updates for Windows Defender, but still can't get SP2 to take. I get error code 0x80070490.

This is actually the 3rd time in a month that I've gotten some type of malware, but this time is by far the most difficult to solve and the most frustrating. Please let me know if you need any more info.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pchateme

pchateme
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:45 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm still having problems....when I booted up this morning, I got "operating system not found" again. The first screen that comes up (the one that shows HP and the options - F1, etc.) hung and I had to power off and restart. After a few attempts, and a long boot up cycle, I was able to get in (wasn't able to get to safe mode, but could boot normally). I ran rkill (it showed the same results that it did in my previous post) and then MBAM found "C:\Users\Craig\AppData\Local\Temp\svchost.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully." I ran Superspyware and it found an adware tracking cookie and a flash tracking cookie. Spybot found nothing. I seem to have the most problems when booting up first thing in the morning. Please help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users