Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ripa

ripa

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 04:46 PM

Yeah I know I left out "been"
Well, if it's true, which do u recommend.

Edited by ripa, 03 July 2010 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:57 PM

No matter WHAT you choose, you find someone who says it sucks.
I use Microsoft security essentials. There is a great thread here that gives you many options.

#3 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:55 AM

I use Microsoft security essentials. There is a great thread here that gives you many options.

Hi I have 2 computers one has microsoft security essentials on it and one has avast the free one both are good, they are the only 2 i recommend.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#4 Guest_amerkiller1995_*

Guest_amerkiller1995_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:05 AM

i use nis 2010
it's the best one and i tested kaspersky bitdefender and avast and still norton is better
i use it bcoz i am a gamer and i have proof here and here that's it's the least resource using AV (see page 54)

#5 JonM33

JonM33

• Banned
  • 503 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

I've never once heard anyone say that Security Essentials sucks.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:25 PM

Although Symantec (Norton) is as good as any other well known anti-virus program, it is known to be a resource hog that can slow down your system and affect performance. The program requires numerous services and running processes that consume a lot of system resources and often results in complaints of high CPU usage. Further Symantec products can be difficult to remove and remnants are often left behind require the use of a special removal tool, otherwise you may encounter problems installing a replacement anti-virus.

Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your technical ability and experience, features offered, the amount of resources utilized, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. Other factors to consider include effectiveness, user friendliness, ease of updating, ease of installation and removal. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your use. There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. Another factor to consider is whether you want to use a paid for product or free alternative.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program or avast! Free Antivirus if choosing a free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 unixunited

unixunited

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials, it's lightweight, user friendly, and powerful.

#8 the dummy

the dummy

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:52 AM

Yeah I know I left out "been"
Well, if it's true, which do u recommend.

LUA - returnil - sandboxie - hard & soft firewall. The anti virus is just there to keep your system happy. :thumbsup:

#9 HakaTu

HakaTu

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 01 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

I have Norton Internet Security 2010 on 1 computer, and run Avast (free version) on another, both work fine and don't seem to bog down the system. That said, you can't beat free, so try out Avast. I do back up both Norton and Avast with Malwarebytes, and ususally run scans back to back. No AV software catches everything.

#10 SylarZero

SylarZero

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:08 PM

My experience with Norton isn't that it sucks. But rather it's not worth the price. And because it's such a big company, it's the easiest for virus makers to work around.

A few years ago, as a student I was given the opportunity to use Norton on my PC for free. So I did. I recently went back to my old computer and used Malwarebytes, and detected over 70 trojans that Norton hadn't detected. Now that was probably because I didn't update Norton. I also got a free trial with this PC for Norton Internet Security. It worked pretty well. But it wasn't worth renewing. And then removing Norton itself was a pain. It was causing BSOD's. I had to go into safe mode to remove it with a remover tool provided by Norton.

It can be a real system hog too-- that doesn't mean it WILL be one. But it can be. I'd recommend against it personally, but that's just my experience.

I hope you are able to find whichever one is best for you.

#11 Guest_amerkiller1995_*

Guest_amerkiller1995_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:46 PM

And because it's such a big company, it's the easiest for virus makers to work around.

i remember having a trojan. what it did first was turn ALL the Posted Image off and then turn them grey (it was unpressable)
damn i remember how surprised i was that tamper protection was ON.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users