Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access info on 2nd HD- desperate for help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TheComedian

TheComedian

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

Hello-

Some months ago I posted in here about having a virus. Everyone here was kind enough to help me, but one day after all the scans said negative, that I was virus free, my computer went insane, started crashing, forced me to reboot, and decided to display the blue screen of death. It never booted again.

I subsequently have pulled the HD out of my computer and placed it into another computer. I can access ALL of the information on the harddrive EXCEPT the information under my main account. Any attempt to access that account folder says "Access denied". I can access all of the files for every other account that was on the computer EXCEPT the main one. I ran tests and found NO bad sectors on the drive. I did not have a password on my account.

Anyone have any ideas as to whats up? I cant imagine that a virus would be preventing me from accessing the information- the new machine is clean and fresh and, as I said, can access all of the other information on the drive. I'm DESPERATE to get the stuff off of that HD- it has YEARS worth of work product and archives from my work. My computer is currently in the hands of a set of local techies and they are at a loss and are recommending that they format it and move on. I REALLY dont want to think this is my only option.

Thank you all for your help and time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:53 PM

If you are talking about files/folders which are under the Documents & Settings categories...then you may need to take ownership of those files. This is normal when attempting to access those files/folders from a different system.

How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users