Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is running Slow (Ran Hijack This)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 nach

nach

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

Several of my friends and relatives mentioned that they received similar help with this forum. Lately, my computer has been running very slow. I have attempted several fixes and I am hoping someone here can help. I was told to run Hijack This and am saving the log below. Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 12:10:45 PM, on 7/3/2010
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgchsvx.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgrsx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACService.exe
C:\Program Files\comcasttb\ComcastSpywareScan\ComcastAntiSpyService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\ACS\AOLacsd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\CA\PPRT\bin\ITMRTSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgnsx.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\RaMaint.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LogMeIn.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LMIGuardian.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft LifeCam\MSCamS32.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Search Enhancement Pack\SeaPort\SeaPort.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSVC.EXE
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgemc.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG9\avgcsrvx.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLIDSvcM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\DMXLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\SBAudigy\Surround Mixer\CTSysVol.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Rundll32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\DEE\LOCALS~1\Temp\clclean.0001
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLACTRLW.EXE
C:\Program Files\Nova Development\Photo Explosion Deluxe 3.0\calcheck.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Creative Labs Shared\Service\CreativeLicensing.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\EPSONS~1\EVENTM~1\EEventManager.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACDaemon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG9\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LogMeInSystray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\vVX3000.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Toolbar\Platform\4.0.0360.0\mswinext.exe
C:\Program Files\Comcast\Desktop Doctor\bin\sprtcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\MediaSource\Detector\CTDetect.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\LMIGuardian.exe
C:\Program Files\DellSupport\DSAgnt.exe
C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\Program Files\Plaxo\3.17.0.16\PlaxoHelper_en.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIEKA.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
C:\Program Files\comcasttb\ComcastSpywareScan\ComcastAntispy.exe
C:\Program Files\Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\msiexec.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
C:\Program Files\HijackThis\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE

--
End of file - 3345 bytes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nach

nach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I also am noticing that when I click on Internet Explorer, it opens up 3 to 6 times. I suspect this is related to Malware or Spyware. Any ideas? Thanks.

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine.

If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.

Upon completing the steps below I will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.

If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.
Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
  • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

And

Please download DeFogger to your desktop.

Double click DeFogger to run the tool.
  • The application window will appear
  • Click the Disable button to disable your CD Emulation drivers
  • Click Yes to continue
  • A 'Finished!' message will appear
  • Click OK
  • DeFogger will now ask to reboot the machine - click OK
IMPORTANT! If you receive an error message while running DeFogger, please post the log defogger_disable which will appear on your desktop.

Then

Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
  • Main Mirror
    This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
  • Zipped Mirror
    This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
  • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.
  • Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.
  • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
  • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

• GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
  • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
  • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
  • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
  • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
  • Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.
-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 nach

nach
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the Response. I did perform a bunch of fixes (based on forums on your website). The computer may be running a little better but it is too soon to tell, however, the internet explorer still opens up 3 to six times when I click it just once. I noticed a process named rundll32.exe that is running in my task manager and I believe that it is malware according to your website. I have tried to remove it unsuccessfully.

I performed your recommendations and here is the info:

1) DDS.txt and Attach.Zip are attached below.

2) FYI, when the Defogger program finished, I clicked OK and it brings me to a screen that says Disable or Re-enable, I was not asked to Reboot (I did perform a Reboot just in case it was necessary). There was no error message. The disable and enable logs are attached as well.

3) I attached the GMER log.

Attached Files

#5 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:53 PM

The logs look fine. Please run the following tools and see if we can dig anything out

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application or, if you are using Vista, right-click and select Run As Administrator on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Full Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

Then

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here. Double-click on the hyperlink for Download Installer and save SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to your desktop. Then double-click on SASDEFINITIONS.EXE to install the definitions.)
  • In the Main Menu, click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

Posted Image

#6 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

Hi,

I have not had a reply from you for 3 days. Can you please tell me if you still need help with your computer as I am unable to help other members with their problems while I have your topic still open. The time taken between posts can also change the situation with your PC making it more difficult to help you.

If you like you can PM me.

Thanks,

m0le
Posted Image

#7 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

This topic has been closed.

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact me via pm with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users