Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont turn on with new gfx card!?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 C.R.E.A.M

C.R.E.A.M

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

hey. im trying to put in a new video card into my computer, when i put it in and turn on the computer, it starts, only gets to where it beeps 1 time before the windows XP screen then stops, and doesnt load anything, even my usb mouse wont have power to it. the video card obviously has power and is running, my monitor is on and it shows my Intel blue screen at the start, but never makes it to load windows XP

i have all the system requirements for the card, the over a 1gb of ram needed, 550w corsair psu, says it runs fine with a P4 processor.

i just bought http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...acture=Gigabyte for a card, i also had another card before that did the same has this card did, not load my windows xp screen and further.

when i plug in my old card it works fine, which is an ati 9200, really old.

the only thing i can see that might not let it work is my windows xp SP? it says in the installation book it gives you that it runs on Windows XP SP2, but im running SP3, will that cause my card to not work?

please help =( this is the second card i've bought that hasn't worked for no reason =(

Edited by C.R.E.A.M, 03 July 2010 - 10:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I have personally experienced this same problem when I added a new video card to a system I have.

The computer booted and looped a restart over and over again each time it tried to boot to windows, nothing I did resolved the problem, that is until I tried a BIOS firmware update.

In other words, I flashed my BIOS chip with the latest BIOS firmware update meant for my motherboard.

After this was done successfully, I was able to re-install the video card and the computer booted successfully to Windows, where I was able to install the vendor's video drivers.

So, I recommend you try locating the firmware for your motherboard's BIOS and follow the instructions provided for flashing your BIOS ROM chip.

Then try installing that video card again and hopefully, you will successfully boot into windows.

Good luck and kind regards.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 C.R.E.A.M

C.R.E.A.M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:44 PM

thank you MrBruce

how do I go about updating my BIOS firmware? or is it pretty straight forward, iv'e never done it before??? :thumbsup:

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Before I can provide you with full instructions, you will have to provide me with enough information about your system.

Motherboard make and model number, BIOS firmware vendor. (usually displayed on screen during boot screen, could be for example Award or AMI (American Megatrends International) BIOS.

While I wait for you to reply, you can check out this link for an explaination of how this proceedure is done at this link.

http://www.wikihow.com/Update-Your-Computer's-BIOS

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 C.R.E.A.M

C.R.E.A.M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:01 PM

Hey
alright, so my motherboard is a Intel Desktop Board D865PERL
and i had managed to open up my BIOS Setup Utility,(ctrl+alt+del worked) it told me my BIOS version is RL86510A.86A.0071.P13
im not sure how to find out "who" my firmware vendor is? all I can see is Intel lol.

Edited by C.R.E.A.M, 04 July 2010 - 02:05 PM.

#6 C.R.E.A.M

C.R.E.A.M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

hm, so is this what I am looking for??

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Des...49&lang=eng

and i would download the 2nd one, Express BIOS Update [RL86510A.86A.0089.P21.EB.EXE] - Self-extracting Windows*-based update file includes Software License Agreement and the utility for updating the BIOS. It is designed to be used on Windows* systems

???? i would try it right now but i'm at work :/

Edited by C.R.E.A.M, 04 July 2010 - 02:21 PM.

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

You can use either of number 2 or 3, number 3 has to be put on a bootable floppy.

Please during either of these proceedures do not turn off your computer, or you can corrupt your BIOS and make your computer not boot any more.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:41 AM

Power Connector 6 Pin

This card from newegg requires an extra power connector?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814125281

Attached Files

Edited by DaChew, 05 July 2010 - 08:45 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users