Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI Radeon 4650

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:31 PM

Sorry how do I watch the bios flash? It does it through the windows xp not booting the computer. When it finishes then it requires a boot. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:50 PM

Unless you are still experiencing a problem with this computer, I would not recommend flashing the BIOS chip.

If you are still experiencing a problem and need to flash your BIOS chip, I want to warn you, doing a bad flash can lead to a non-bootable computer.

Special instructions need to be followed and one thing to keep in mind.....Do not restart or turn off the computer until the flash program prompts you to do so!

There are more details to offer, however unless you plan to perform a flash of your motherboards BIOS chip EPROM, there is no point in going into further details.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 10 July 2010 - 06:51 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#33 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:55 PM

Well it did work but xp keeps telling me when it restarts it was missing registry parts but it did finds the missing parts & tells me that about 4 times before XP finally is loaded. Other than that I don't see a problem.

#34 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

I dont think your BIOS would cause registry errors. There is no reason to flash the BIOS at all unless you are experiencing problems that the BIOS can affect, registry is software related and the BIOS does not affect your operating system software for the most part. If the computer is running fine and stable under the current BIOS theres no need to update it. Doing a system restore however, may fix your registry. It should be under system tools.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#35 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

b1mmuo27 your still using Windows XP Professional is this correct?

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#36 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:21 PM

Yes. But I just noticed that my password when it boots up is gone again. That is the one you set up in the bios. I wonder what else is going on? This has disappeared a couple of times now.

#37 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

When you flashed your BIOS chip did you follow the instructions carefully?

In most cases, after a successful flash is performed, you are asked to boot the system and enter the BIOS setup utility again and choose one of several different worded options. I list the wording below.

Load system defaults.

Load best configuration.

load defaults.

Load fail safe defaults.

Load setup defaults.

These are usually offered in the main menu where the navigation keys are displayed on the screen.

Some computer manufacturers recommend moving a jumper on the board to clear the CMOS, this is done after the CMOS battery is removed to avoid shorting out the battery.

Your system time and date will be reset to the system default and will need to be set back the the correct time and date.

You should check to see if those are even correct now. Your CMOS battery could also be weak or dead.

Bruce.

#38 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

One more addition to what I posted above, none of the changes you make to the BIOS will save automatically, you have to make the changes, then press the F10 key on the keyboard, a dialog box should appear asking if you want to save the changes and exit, you have to confirm those changes by typing Y for yes.

Bruce.

#39 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

Thanks just checked my time is bang on. If memory servers me I replaced the bios battery last year. The bios update was done with asus update in windows. Not through a bios flash on a cd or floppy.

#40 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:50 PM

Perhaps another format & new install again with this new power supply?

#41 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 04:56 PM

To post my 2 cents here about power supplies and video cards.

The most important thing to remember is to look at the amount of amps on the +12 volt rail(s), and look at the requirement for the video card.

My GTX 480 I just got requires 42amps on the 12 volt rail. My power supply supplies 60 amps on my single 12 volt rail. I have enough to spare. I also have a total of 750 Watt PCP&P Power Supply.

#42 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:06 PM

If you feel you need to do another install, that is totally up to you.

I am not going to advise against it, because you could be on the right track here.

You should also concider the advice cryptodan posted above, he seems to be pretty knowlegeable about PSU's as well. :thumbsup:

Bruce.

#43 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:10 PM

Thanks...remember I am an electrician. Perhaps cryptodan has some number wrong. 42 AMPS & 65 AMPS would be a small transformer weighing about 500lbs. Perhaps it's watts? Not really possible in a small cpu. :thumbsup:

#44 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

Have a read: http://www.pcpower.com/downloads/Silencer_...Manual_3826.pdf

#45 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:24 PM

I see what you are trying to say BUT current is current at any voltage. They can spec what ever they want but max input current is 12 amps. Which runs on a 15 amp circuit. Did you see any #6 or #8 conductors in your power supply? I didn't in my 900Watt. Im not knocking it, it just can't be. Plus they have admitted it's ONLY 80% efficient. Ohms law doesn't lie. These are NOT step up transformers. I don't know how they can claim what they do but simply electrical laws prove other wise. Another way to look at it is you would have a fire if it indeed it pulls 45 & 65 amps. 16 gauge wire does not carry that much current without burning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users