Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ATI Radeon 4650

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

My old video card crashed the system on my desktop some months ago. I purchased this video card as a replacement but it has progressively gotten worse. I run win xp pro sp2. MoBo is a Asus P5n32 -SLI . Deluxe P4 3.0 Ghz with 4 gigs of ram that windows only sees 2.75gigs. Thew problems is when I play any video other than youtube my system freezes. I have used the 10.6 drivers & tried the 9.12. Still does the same. XP is a fresh install as I thought I would try that. I have tried various different plyers & it always ends the same , freezes the pc. I am frustrated to the point of replacing the card. This problem goes back to it's install. Any ideas or fixes? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:56 PM

Hello and welcome to Bleepingcomputer.

I am curious, have you have tried making a few changes to your graphics card settings in your BIOS utility?

There are settings in your BIOS you can change that are related to how your graphics card performs.

I would look into those settings and make a few changes to see if this corrects your problem.

Also make sure your PSU is supplying enough output to the motherboard and graphics card for a stable system.

Need further advice? Just ask. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:05 PM

Tried the bios & that didn't work either. The power supply is more than adequate for the pc as well.

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:12 PM

I need to ask you a little bit about what happened with your origional video card.

You said it crashed your system a few months ago, so I am curious what you mean by crashed the system.

Did the video card over heat? Stop working?

What I am trying to figure out here is if your motherboard has a problem with the video slot or not.

Or if your motherboard is failing and needs to be replaced.

The more details you provide, the better a solution can be found.

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

Actually I posted the question about the video card that crashed on this site as well. It was answered, by listening to the error beeps. The pc would not load. Stop on error, the error was the video card. I simply replaced it with what I usually get radeon.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:34 PM

You could try going into your BIOS setup untility and looking for the following in the main BIOS menu "Stop on no errors" and see if the system boots, if so please post back the results.

I may recommend you looking into flashing your BIOS chip with a newer firmware version, this one may have a bug in it, or the newer one might contain a possible fix for this issue.

Being at this point I do not know what BIOS version you have I can not advise you on that proceedure at this time, or if there is a version available with a possile fix.

We'll look into that possibility next if needed.

Kind regards.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 July 2010 - 09:40 PM.

#7 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

I am trying to load the newest bios version but asus update seems to be a little "wierd" tonight. Says there is a newer version , downloads it & then .........nothing. I'll try again & see what happens & try the stop on errors in bios & let you know.

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:33 PM

Ok

Make sure you do not brick your motherboard during the BIOS update please!

Do not turn off the computer until told to do so!

One of the staff members of the BC advisor team and a very good friend of mine named The Patriot09 PMed me and suggested to me your problem might be related to your power supply may not have enough output to power everything in your computer.

Hey I give credit where credit is due :thumbsup:

So I think that is worth looking into, because if your PSU isn't supplying enough amperage to the video card this can happen, specially if your graphics card is drawing a lot of amps during high accelleration.

Thanks The patroit09 for your help!

You may not have enough amps from your PSU to power everything during peak demands.

Can you give a basic run down of the hard ware you have installed in your computer tower?

The Asus web site has a PSU wattage calulator at this link below, it might help you determine your needs and whether your exceeding them.

http://support.asus.com/PowerSupplyCalcula...SLanguage=en-us

Keep us posted.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 July 2010 - 10:12 AM.

#9 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

Yes I have 535 watts on the enermax power supply. As I told the patriot09 I am an electrician & built this pc. I did the Asus calculator & it suggested 500Watts. I just managed to load the latest bios from asus & at least now xp sees my 4 gig of ram. Thanks

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:13 PM

power supply calculators arnt always accurate, the amperage is just as important as the wattage, and is often overlooked in calculators. I fried a 600 watt PSU once time because I went off a power supply calculator-it told me I only needed 500 watts, and I had a 600 watt, had results almost identical to what yours was, increasingly worse, until it ended in a cloud of smoke. And that video card isnt power hungry, nor is the CPU, with the hardware youve mentioned Im assuming your right in that the PSU should supply enough power, however, if your running 4 hard drives in raid and a TV tuner card as well, on top of that, it could be. Im not necessarily saying your wrong, it might not be the PSU-it could be the BIOS thing like MrBruce has suggested, I would definetly try that before messing with the PSU.

On another note with the PSU, that PSU may in fact, supply the necessary power, however, when your previous video card died it may have damaged your Power supply resulting in it not supplying as much power as it should, Enermax is not a brand of PSU that I have much experience with, and haven't read the best reviews about them. But this again doesn't necessary mean the PSU is the culprit. I would follow mrbruces advice and get the BIOS updated, If you cant download the latest on your computer, try it on another computer. Also, what process are you using to flash it? are you updating it from inside windows using an ASUS tool, or are you going to try to flash it from diskette/USB thumb drive? in any case, like I stated in my pm to mrbruce (you first by accident) Im rather busy with work right now, Ill try to keep up but may not be able to, mrbruce is more then qualified to further assist here, follow his directions and I have no doubt the problem will be solved in no time, and like I said I shall try and check back and see how its going. :thumbsup:

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#11 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:19 PM

Yes I have 535 watts on the enermax power supply. As I told the patriot09 I am an electrician & built this pc. I did the Asus calculator & it suggested 500Watts. I just managed to load the latest bios from asus & at least now xp sees my 4 gig of ram. Thanks

Well we are making some progress here, I see you stated above your RAM is now being recognized as 4 Gb, that's good news and one of the reasons I suggest checking for BIOS firmware updates.

If the calculator is correct, that only leaves you with 35 WATTS to play with and in the event a peripheral demands more from the PSU you can run short of surplus resoures pretty quick!

Did the BIOS update seem to fix your video problem?

If not, perhaps you should subtract a piece of hardware to see if the video problem goes away, if it does, you need a PSU with a little bit more ummppfff!!

Thanks for your input The Patriot09, I just see you fineally posted after I sent this reply. :thumbsup:

Edited by MrBruce1959, 03 July 2010 - 11:27 PM.

#12 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 09:47 AM

I have 4 serial ata drive not running raid. I originally ran raid 0 but had a windows crash & lost most of my data. LG cd/dvd writer, asus cd read/write. 3 1/2" floppy drive. No tuner card. On board audio & network. That's it. I'll pull it out of the desk today & put an amprobe on it. I can set it for peak power. One thing I don't understand is why does youtube video play with no freezing? As I said I don't have a tv tuner card. It plays through the internet.

#13 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:44 AM

What type of Internet do you have?

You most likely have either cable modem high speed Internet or DSL.

You should try watching a video from HuLu.com and see if you get a lot of video buffering or freez-frames during one of their videos.

I know some web sites with streaming videos are probmatic when they have a lot of users are logged into the same server at the same time. But the videos are fine when there isn't a host of people logged in at the same time. Its basically some web sites band-width gets used up and thus their video drop out or break up.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 04 July 2010 - 11:03 AM.

#14 b1mmuo27

b1mmuo27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:01 PM

I have dsl. I suppose we can call this success. But considering a bios update maybe you can tell me if this is the new problem. Blue screen.
WIN32K.sys
page_fault_nonpaged_area
blah blah blah..maybe hardware or software related
TECH INFO
STOP: 0x00000050 ( 0 x A07B18F0, 0 x 00000000, 0 x BF806A3F, 0 x 00000000)
WIN32.sys-addressBF806A base at BF800000, DATE STAMP 4bdd1407

What is this mess now? Thanks

Edited by b1mmuo27, 04 July 2010 - 12:52 PM.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:30 PM

Did a little searching, and that error code normally accompanies bad memory. And by memory, im not just talking about system memory, bad graphics card memory, or bad cache in the Processor, can also cause this issue. I would recomend downloading and running memtest86 and running that to eliminate that as a possible problem. If memtest shows errors, then it is system memory, if it doesnt then its either your processor cache or video Ram.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users