Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello Bleeping computer community

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tsnook12

tsnook12

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:23 AM

I just joined the community,
I participate in many other forms, solving various pc problems.
my new challenge is working on a laptop with a rookit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jake1964

jake1964

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:52 AM

please tell me what a rootkit is and what it does, please feel free to consider me stupid and not up with computer user acronyms

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:55 AM

A very warm welcome to BC to you both!
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 tsnook12

tsnook12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

As for being stupid, no one can know everything about computers, I am what you call a computer hobbyist/enthusiast, thats what makes these blogs and forums useful,we can pass on and share to help each other out.My first pc was a Leading Edge back in 1983, back then there was no hard drives everything was on 5 1/4 floppy disks everything was Dos based meaning you did everything from a command line interface.
A simple explanation of a root kit is it is a virus/ trojan that is made to hide itself inside a system file and the registry and are very effective at staying hidden from antivrus scanners and most will have a back door to get back in your system if they are found and can protect themselves from being found or removed. you can googlesearch about them, or go to the glossary or the security forums and find out more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users