Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Redirected search results, me too!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TXDM01

TXDM01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

Hello! I seem to have been infected with some kind of browser hijacker or another, that redirects my search results when clicked on to some random ad sites. I see that this seems to be quite a big problem with many other people here seeking help too! This happens in both Firefox and I.E., so I decided to try to uninstall and reinstall them both to see if it helped at all. I uninstalled firefox, but couldnt figure out how to uninstall I.E. so I just left it alone... I ran several scans using the following: AVG, SpybotS&D, CCleaner, System Mechanic, Defender Pro, Malwarebytes, and CA Security. System Mechanic found a spyware threat called LookatMe2, deleted. Also found several tracking cookies, deleted. Ran full system cleanings with both DefenderPro and System Mechanic, and ran CCleaner again. Defraged drive and memory, compacted and backed up registry after it was scanned and cleaned also. Rebooted, logged back on, did a search and WHAMO happens again... Im at a loss as to what to do. My Comp and OPsys are: AMD Athalon dual core 64 2.4Ghz 1Gb Ram, Windows XP Home, all my drivers, software, security,apps etc, everything is continually updated and set to auto update, so as far as I know I think I do have all the latest updates for everything. Thnx!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

Try this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-remo...sing-tdsskiller
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 TXDM01

TXDM01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

Hello Budapest and tyvm for your response, greatly appreciated!! Ok I followed your link and Dld TDSSkiller after reading the entire page, and followed the directions exactly as stated. I ran TDSSKiller and the results were as follows: the scanner indicated that ["C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers\afd.sys" is infected with TDSS Rootkit and will be cured on reboot please press y or n to continue]. I pressed Y and hit enter. My PC restarted and Immediatly on reboot my virus scanner alert came on and stated [ INFECTED by "Heur\Downloader.BW!", "Win32\Alureon.D.!generic" files isolated ] I went into my AVSuite quarantine and deleted them. I then ran complete scans using Spybot S&D, CA Security Suite, CCleaner, Defender Pro, and lastly System Mechanic. Everything checked out good with no infection results, so I rebooted once more as per instructions from Sys Mech. As my PC came back on it made some break up of the normal boot sound, which had been going on since I was 1st hijacked and being redirected, so I thot maybe I was still infected. Ran all the scans again in the same order as listed above, once again with all negative results, although now I noticed sound from my speakers was coming out of only one side. I Ignored that for the moment and went ahead and opened IE and typed "am I still being browser redirected?" in the search window to check and see the results of getting rid of these 3 pests, I cliked several of the search results and am very happy to say was not redirected even once, and all seems to be in order with that issue. I then went to Start/control panel/ sound devices to see what I could do about my sound, because my little speaker icon was now missing from the bottom right where it had always been. I'm going to check and see where I need to post for that problem as I'm new here and don't know if I can go into that here or not. As far as the redirecting and pop up extra windows goes, this appears to have solved my problem tho! Thank you Buda for pointing me in the right direction on this. It seems to have worked well!!!! TYVM!!! :thumbsup:

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

How to troubleshoot sound problems in Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users