Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to recover dat from old laptop HDD with multiple user accounts

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Xander

Xander

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:51 PM

Hello,

My old XP laptop crapped out last week, and without investing too much time or $$ in trying to fix it, I removed the hard drive and, with a USB adapter, it is indeed accessible (yeah!) when attached to another laptop. However, it seems that I cannot access all of the different Users' folders in Documents and Settings. I had hoped to be able to simply drag and drop the entire contents of the drive to another (program files, docs and settings, etc- naive of me?), but the transfer keeps getting hung up on certain files and says 'access denied.' This happens even when I try to copy individual User folders only.

What am I doing wrong? How can I access and copy the different User accounts' files on the old drive? Does it matter if the User is an administrator or not? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:09 AM

You may need to take ownership of those stubborn files/folders: http://www.winxptutor.com/ownership.htm

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Xander

Xander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

Thanks Broni I will check it out. I am using my work laptop to try to transfer the contents of the old disk so I will see if I can take ownership and let you know if it works!

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:20 AM

Please do :thumbsup:

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#5 Xander

Xander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:32 AM

Looks like I was able to take ownership of one of the administrator folders. I am going to try the rest and then try to transfer the entire disk.... I will let you know how it goes!

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

Good news :thumbsup:

My Website

#7 Xander

Xander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:54 PM

Success! Thanks!

BleepingComputer rules.

#8 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:12 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

#9 Xander

Xander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:33 AM

New issue here... time to resurrect the thread!

'Tis the holiday season, and time to send out the holiday cards! Apparently, however, our address list was saved on my wife's desktop on the hard drive of the dead laptop, but I can't find it on the rescued drive. Her desktop doesn't show up as an option under her user name when I browse the transferred contents of the disk on the new disk. It appears that my desktop items are not visible either under my user name. So the question is: How do I locate those desktop files? They've got to be there somewhere! I found a shortcut to the file but searching from it is fruitless. In the spirit of the holidays, any ideas? Of course, my wife already bought the holiday cards so I need to find this file or the whole thing is shot!

Cheers,

X

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,770 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

Please, create new topic about new issue.

My Website

#11 Xander

Xander
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:50 AM

Kind of the same issue is it not? new thread coming up

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users