Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze Up

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Pattinicknack

Pattinicknack

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:24 PM

Just acquired Windows XP, Home. Things don't work with this program as they did with Windows 98. I play in Yahoo Games. If I try to switch rooms or log off the internet, I either freeze up or have to use the ctrl/alt/delete to end everything. I'm wondering if something in my settings need to be changed? I end up sending in error messages each time to get off the net and bottome tool bar.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:29 PM

Just acquired Windows XP, Home. Things don't work with this program as they did with Windows 98. I play in Yahoo Games. If I try to switch rooms or log off the internet, I either freeze up or have to use the ctrl/alt/delete to end everything. I'm wondering if something in my settings need to be changed? I end up sending in error messages each time to get off the net and bottome tool bar.

Xp is a whole new ballgame compared to 98 Pat, forget all your notions.
What amount of memory do you have?
What size processor do you have?

#3 Pattinicknack

Pattinicknack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 01:54 PM

Hi There,
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 10 AuthenticAMD ~2399 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 657.28 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:23 AM

Windows XP Advisor (will inform you if Win XP will be able to be installed on your computer)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/advisor.mspx

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

#5 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 03:17 AM

Hi There,
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 10 AuthenticAMD ~2399 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 657.28 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB

That is a pc with excellent specs and will run XP without a problem.
What Anti Virus and Firewall software are you running?
Do you have any Anti Spy/Mal/Ad Ware Software and if so have they been updated?
I would change to Firefox as your browser rather than use IE.
If you have Norton or MacAfee as A/Virus these are both massive system resource hoggers.
Tell us what you have and it may be possible to get away with not running an HJT scan.

#6 Pattinicknack

Pattinicknack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 09:47 AM

I'm running Norton Anti Virus. Should I try turning it off and see if that makes a difference? Not sure about Firewall, how do I find that out? I have Adaware Spy Ware on as well and keep it up to date.

#7 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:20 AM

I'm running Norton Anti Virus. Should I try turning it off and see if that makes a difference? Not sure about Firewall, how do I find that out? I have Adaware Spy Ware on as well and keep it up to date.

If it is just Norton AV rather then Norton System Works then you won't have a firewall.
If you have SP2 then you could have Microsofts pathetic version, I say pathetic as it will only block inbound traffic.
Have a look in Control Panel/Security Centre.
If you don't or even if you do then get Zone Alarm, it's a whole lot better.
Make sure you turn off MS's version of a firewall.
You could turn off Norton just make sure you don't download anything or open attachments while you have it turned off.
I would uninstall it alltogether and run Avast or AVG as an anti virus prog.
Procure also Spybot (Search and Destroy), Spyware Blaster.

#8 Pattinicknack

Pattinicknack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 11:54 AM

Norton is a Demo 11.0.11.4 that came with this computer for 2 months.
I am not planning on keeping it.
In the control panel security center all 3 green light are on. If I click on the firewall at the bottom it says windows firewall is off. ??
Do you not like AdAware then?

#9 Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 12:25 PM

Norton is a Demo 11.0.11.4 that came with this computer for 2 months.
I am not planning on keeping it.
In the control panel security center all 3 green light are on. If I click on the firewall at the bottom it says windows firewall is off. ??
Do you not like AdAware then?

Adaware is an excellent program but as you already run that's why I didn't mention it.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 19 October 2005 - 01:52 PM

Here are the links Wolfe was referring to. I like AVG free myself. Been using it for two + years. While ZA is a great program I like Sygate.

AVG Free Edition Antivirus(I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta
Spybot
AdAware SE Personal Edition
Ewido Security Suite - 14 day trial
cCleaner
Sygate 5.4

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#11 Pattinicknack

Pattinicknack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2005 - 02:59 PM

thanks for all the input. I don't think any of these things are going to solve my freezing up thing with yahoo. Something with the site I guess where I have to change some settings, just not sure which ones.

#12 Grumpdaddy1

Grumpdaddy1

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:31 PM

OK, that latest version of NAV is broken. It would not, absolutely could not sit there and be quiet long enough to do anything. Then it locked out my machine trying to scan the hard drive. My old NAV corporate edition was much more behaved. But it got tired so I replaced it. Stick to the the good FREE ones. A couple were already mentioned above (I use AVG Free Edition as well.)

However, I don't think these or firewalls, spyware are your problem. If it were firewall issues, then you probably couldn't get into the game sites to start with as many of them use popup screens (Pogo anyone?) A popup blocker will prevent these things from loading.

The problem sounds more like your browser settings. You mention Yahoo! Did you get a CD with all this stuff that took like 8 years to install? Problem is, just because you sign up with an ISP, it doesn't mean you have use their stuff. I have SBC Yahoo but never installed the software. Windows XP's Connection Wizard sets up SBC by my typing SBCIS in the provider box. Enter your user and password as provided by your ISP and you should be fine. Plus, you mention sending the error report. That box pops up after a program has crashed or is no longer (not) responding. Next time it does this, look at the title bar and see what program it is.

One issue is when you get ISP provided browser software (Internet Explorer provided by AOL, for example), the ISP has the browser set up for it's web site and other things. Dump these and download IE 6.0 SP2 directly from Microsoft and Firefox (I personally recommend and use Firefox EXCLUSIVELY) directly from Mozilla. However, they should work. If you upgraded to XP instead of a clean install, then much of your 98 settings probably still live there and that's breaking your browser. So, re-install your browser(s). Let these browsers configure themselves to Windows.

Anyway, enough babbling from me. Keep us informed.

-Grump

Edited by Grumpdaddy1, 21 October 2005 - 07:37 PM.

"Ignorance begins the day you think you know it all"

#13 Pattinicknack

Pattinicknack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2005 - 10:39 AM

Grumpdaddy, you are wonderful to reply. I still don't have the answer. This is a brand new computer, brand new, nothing from the old one.....hmmmm, wait, i did bring over some documents and favorites and email addresses from the old one but that's it. Nothing much to get into Yahoo games, just an ID, no downloads. I play Canasta and I never get out without the Ctrl/Alt/Delete and yes, it doesn't respond so the error report goes in and then it ends. I think it is my settings as well but don't know which ones to fool with. Title bar?? taskmgr.exe or
IEXPLORE.EXE sxModName:hungapp error report says C:DOCUME~1\Temp\WER4fb2.dir00\IEXPLORE.EXE.mdmp and C:\DOCUME~1\PAT\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4fb2.dir00\appcompat.txt on the technical info of the report.....All Greek to me! I do know that I had the old Java on my old computer and you can't get that anymore so I have Java Sun now...it's the one I am suspicious about but maybe that doesn't have anything to do with not being able to close down. Something with IE that isn't set right? OK, it's a small but very irritating problem for me.

#14 Pattinicknack

Pattinicknack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

Had a discussion with a computer tech and when XP was installed on my computer, the Service Pak 2 was added but not Service Pak 1. He thought not having the #1 was the problem which then caused a problem with Java applets. What do you think?

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 24 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

How old is your computer? If that were the case MS probibly has a patch. Do you have all you MS updates? Have you checked the MS Knowledge Base?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users