Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding parts to my computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rm_fl813

rm_fl813

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:50 PM

I have this old ass computer my uncle gave to me, and it just isn't cutting it anymore.
I can't even watch HD videos on YouTube. Barely ever can I watch one in 480.
It tends to freeze up from time to time if I have like, maybe 5 programs running.
Regardless of all of that, I desperately need a new computer. But they're too expensive for what they're offering and it's just junk. I'd rather add parts myself.
But I have no idea how to do that, since I don't think I can just buy something and expect it to work with what I've got right now.
Currently I have,

100gb. I made another partition with 10gigs for my music which is already full, I've got 75.38gigs left on my C:\ from movies and what not.
1.10Ghz, 768Mb RAM, AMD Athlon Processor.
MAXTOR STM3120814A Hard drive.
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500 display, Creative Sound Blaster PCI audio.
Compaq computer.
Windows XP 2002 w/ SP3.

That's as much as I know about it.
Money isn't really an issue, I just don't wanna pay a ridiculous price. I'm not a PC gamer so it doesn't need to be anything too extreme.
I planned on upgrading to Windows 7 though, 64 bit. Possibly. Since I've heard 32 is better, but that's just what I've read around.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:34 PM

Old computers...contain obsolete parts...which, when purchased...will be more expensive than newer parts.

My suggestion is do some research and buy an inexpensive computer...your money will be better used.

<<Money isn't really an issue, I just don't wanna pay a ridiculous price.>>

No one...HAS to pay a ridiculous price, but people do...primarily because they don't bother to make themselves educated about what it is that they should want and how much they should be willing to pay for it.

There are plenty of inexpensive computer that can be either built or bought...if the research is done by the prospective buyer/builder...and they don't fall for buying a laptop or today's "latest/greatest".

If you took a poll of the systems that the seemingly knowledgeable personnel on forums like this have...and then weeded out the gamers and enthusiasts...I think you would be surprised at the current value of those systems.

And...you'd probably be surprised by how many persons have more than one system :blink:...because it's feasible.

Louis

Buying A New Computer Links

Edited by hamluis, 02 July 2010 - 08:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users