Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Realtek Ethernet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nocky

nocky

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 07:34 PM

Hi all my first post so G'Day from Oz
I have a toshiba laptop Win XP SP3 with a Realtec RTL8168C PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet adapter, I am connected to the office network, the problem is when I start my computer the Realtek doesn't load, if I search for new hardware sometimes it appears, on other occassions it will appear and connect after a few minutes or after 3 restarts of the computer, I have had the laptop for 18 months and the problem started a month ago, any idea's

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nocky

nocky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:03 PM

39 views and answer :thumbsup: just bumping it up in the hope a soloution arrives by Monday
Cheers All

Edited by nocky, 02 July 2010 - 10:04 PM.

#3 nocky

nocky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:30 PM

Now it takes three restarts before I connect to the network, the network connect icon only appears after 3 starts, any suggestions would be appreciated, I have tried all that I know

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 05 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

If you tell us what you've already attempted...it will save redundancy.

You've uninstalled the drivers...rebooted and then reinstalled same?

You've checked Event Viewer for clues about network connectivity problems?

You've considered the possibility that the NIC is failing?

What model Toshiba?

Any evidence of other system problems?

Louis

#5 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:43 PM

Judging from his toshiba specs, I would assume that his Notebook is a Toshiba satellite series notebook.

NICs for these notebooks are often build in to the motherboard, except for some odds ones from some reason toshiba did not want to include them.

Also you might want to consider the following.

- If you have a docking station undock and test.
- Check if you have any usb devices connected - most of the usb components of the laptops are close to the NICs, so shorts happen now and then.
- check if the problem occurs if booted at safe mode. < to access safe mode start the laptop and tap on the F8, if you see the windows logo you missed it try again. Once you see the safe mode with networking option use the arrow keys to select it and hit enter >

Based from experience, is issue is 70% hardware related.

Based from your OS, your warranty has expired. So it would cost you a bit to have the notebook serviced.

If worst comes you have the ASP option.

You can visit pcrepair.toshiba.com

Anyways there is only 1 service center in Western Australia :

Toshiba MobileCare
Unit 3A, 93 Francisco Street
Belmont, WA 6104
mobilecare.wa@toshiba-tap.com
P: 13 30 70
T: 13 30 70

cheers
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

#6 nocky

nocky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

It is a Toshiba Satellite Pro, I have no USB devices plugged in other than keyboard and mouse, I do have an external monitor, this setup has been the same since December 2009, I have uninstalled and reinstalled driver and can't find an updated one, we are connected to a small office network of 4 computers and connect to head office by remote server connection, I can restart PC a couple of times and then run find new hardware, the connected icon appears after a few seconds of the hardware scan, occasionally I get prompt "have you connected hardware already" if the connected icon hasn't appeared by this stage then no point continuing, restart and try again, I have also updated and run spybot and also done a full scan with Avast AV, the problem may have started when I updated to the new version of avast but I think this is just a coincidence

#7 kennzsniper

kennzsniper

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

Hmmm...

It may sound odd but I think your NIC is connected internally via the internal USB ports on the laptop.
There are some toshiba notebooks that have more USB ports than they actually say. Most of the time they are used for internal devices like WLAN NIC, NICs, Card readers and fingerprint scanners. Try reinstalling your usb drivers and see if that works. Also disable power management on your USB ports.
Hardware tech when I was in college.
1st job was a network support for SOHO
2nd job was lappy tech
3rd Job way out of my league but its nice...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users