Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Cannot Be Enabled

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimrwest

jimrwest

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:50 PM

I was running out of HD space and accidently deleted some files that should not have been. when i go into restore it says that it has been disabled. I go through the directed process to deselect the disable option, apply,close and restart. It still will not go to restore and it again shows the disable restore box checked. Does anyone know how to override/bypass whatever is continuing to disable restore.

I am not sure what the files were that have been deleted but my CD drive is no longer recognized.
I checked the registry and it has not been changed since prior to the problem. OS is ME.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 06:41 PM

Hello jimrwest and welcome to BC.

ME uses a file called statemgr.exe to handle System Restore and this needs to be enabled in your Startup programs. Go to Start>Run and type in msconfig and click OK. Make sure there is a checkmark in front of Statemgr. You can also restore a previous registry by going to the Safe Mode screen by pressing F8 at bootup, selecting Command Prompt only, and when you get to C:\> type in:

Scanreg /restore

and then press <enter>. You will be presented with all the registry backups and can select one from there.

Having said that, System Restore won't replace deleted files. Can you recover them from the Recycle Bin? If you have to, and you have an ME CD, you can run Setup from that to reinstall the operating system without losing any programs or data but you will need to reapply the Windows Critical Updates. You can also try going to Start>Run and typing in SFC. This will bring up the System File Checker Utility which checks for altered, corrupted and deleted files. You may need the ME CD for this process also.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users