Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Resolution stuck at microscopic

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 choicefresh

choicefresh

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

Hi,

I recently set up my computer with an external widescreen monitor, and had to frequently change the graphics settings (every time I connected or disconnected the monitor, booted up, returned from sleep, or even opened and closed the laptop lid). To try to remedy these issues, I downloaded UltraMon as well as MultiMonitorMouse. I had to fiddle around with settings occasionally, as the widescreen resolution wouldn't show up in the list, and I'd have to figure out whether to change the settings in UltraMon, Desktop > Properties, or Desktop > Graphics Properties (a third-party program by Intel, which usually works the best). Recently, after disconnected the monitor and booting up, my laptop boots the log-in screen in a very small resolution, so that I can only see the "shutdown" button. When I disable the log-in screen, the same thing happens to my desktop: I can see a very small version of the taskbar, but there isn't enough space on my screen to be able to change the settings. I can boot into Safe Mode fine, in the odd "safe mode" resolution, but I can't change any settings from there, and my network connections don't work. Any ideas of how to fix this? Is there a file I can edit by mounting from a Linux distribution, perhaps?

Thanks for the help,
Choicefresh :thumbsup:

Edit: I've tried fiddling around with attaching and deattaching the external monitor, as well as opening and closing the laptop lid, to see if it resets itself to the proper resolution (or at least one that I can use), but to no avail.

Edited by choicefresh, 02 July 2010 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 choicefresh

choicefresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:14 AM

I feel bad replying to my own topic because it won't be noticed as quickly, but I feel this is important:

I figured out a way to get around the problem (change DPI to a smaller value), but there are only two options for screen resolution in Desktop Properties, and neither fixes the problem. It clearly is a driver problem.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:24 AM

Hi -
Are you using a standard graphics card or have you installed another one ??
If you are never sure then download Speccy from Piriform to see your internal system -
-
EDIT - http://www.piriform.com/speccy/download/standard Download link -

Edited by noknojon, 04 July 2010 - 05:25 AM.

#4 choicefresh

choicefresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 05:32 AM

Hi -
Are you using a standard graphics card or have you installed another one ??

I'm using the one that came with the computer, which I believe is an nVidia.

Going to the "graphics" part of Speccy in Safe Mode (which I'm currently using to browse the Internet) returns a message "This service cannot be started in Safe Mode." It will be a hassle, but do you want me to reset the DPI and boot normally and see if I can run it?

By the way, interesting username you have there. It definitely reminds me of an anti-spam service, KnujOn, which is "no junk" backwards. But yours is no jonk backwards, which doesn't make as much sense. :thumbsup:

Edited by choicefresh, 04 July 2010 - 05:32 AM.

#5 choicefresh

choicefresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 02:01 AM

OK, I ended up fixing the problem by doing a repair installation from the Windows CD. After that, the resolution was still stuck, but Windows offered to fix it for me :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users