Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

H E L P!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Danny Jags

Danny Jags

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:00 PM

I tried downloading SP2 from Microsoft last night but it said that after it was installing it could not be installed correctly, bla bla bla. So now when I tried to turn my computer on, it keeps rebooting after the Windows logo comes up with the bar on the bottom.. EVERY TIME! Even when I try to put it in safe mode it just shuts down and reboots... does anyone know about this problem? Or have any solutions?

Thanks! I really need answers soon cause this computer is my family's computer (I'm on my laptop)

- Danny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 12:59 PM

Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338). There is no
charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Danny Jags

Danny Jags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 08:35 PM

So I have a question
If I have Microsoft Automatic Updates on and its a startup program on my computer.. does it create restore points every time it downloads new updates?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 09:40 PM

I believe a new restore point is set, every time there is a system change.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:20 PM

If not there should be, but unlimited restore points can eat up way too much hard drive space.

You may want to limit space available to restore to give it the space it really needs to be effective while not being allowed to fill your hard drive.

#6 Danny Jags

Danny Jags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 10:55 PM

Okay so heres the deal.
My computer would not start up so I did a system recovery (Compaq's version) and after that finished I went to boot up, I selected it to start with my last known good configuration but it said that files in the system32/CONFIG were corrupt or deleted - that I needed to use a disk to boot up and hit r to repair... problem is I can't find my cd so I am going to borrow it from someone.. but has anyone had a problem like that before? Could it possibly have to do with downloading SP2 from Microsoft and it terminated in the middle because of an error? Or could this be a virus? I'm going to go investigate on Microsofts website..

#7 blondshell

blondshell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:36 PM

Hi! I'm having the same problem! I just downloaded Windows Updates & Zone Alarm trial version (at the same time--bad!) & now my computer keeps cycling at restart!

Searching on the other links advised hitting the F8 key to determine where it is getting hung up, but all this does is allow me to reboot. If I go through the Sony recovery disks, I'm afraid I'll lose all the files I had in my system. Ugh! Any words of wisdom?

#8 Danny Jags

Danny Jags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2005 - 11:45 PM

This is very interesting...
We both did the same thing and we have the same issue with our computers. Private message me with your computer information, and I'll send mine back to you, maybe confront Microsoft about this.

#9 blondshell

blondshell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:29 AM

I just found this link to a possible solution...I don't have time to try it tonight, but I will tomorrow am!

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html

#10 Danny Jags

Danny Jags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:11 PM

REDICULOUS!

Microsoft tells me that even though it was an error on their part, they want me to pay 200 to get the disk retail... are they serious?! Thats insane! Absolutely crazy. Now my computer will not even start up, this is insane! How am I supposed to work with this?!?! After screaming and yelling at the IT department about insulting my intelligence about what to do, they told me that in TWO to THREE days a higher up person will call me back regarding my issue and ship me a cd.

IM READY TO GO THROUGH THE WALL!

#11 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:20 PM

Have you borrowed the XP disk and tried the repair install yet? (blondshell provided a link)

#12 Danny Jags

Danny Jags
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:11 PM

Yea, I have that disk and I am working with it but the Microsoft dude told me that oh because it is not a Compaq cd it will lead to more problems but I said well.. if I am only getting the files that are missing how does that imply to anything to do with the other stuff on the disk? He didn't give me a straight answer, just repeated himself like a broken record. I am going to work with the disk now

#13 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:19 AM

Okay so heres the deal.
My computer would not start up so I did a system recovery (Compaq's version) and after that finished I went to boot up, I selected it to start with my last known good configuration but it said that files in the system32/CONFIG were corrupt or deleted - that I needed to use a disk to boot up and hit r to repair... problem is I can't find my cd so I am going to borrow it from someone.. but has anyone had a problem like that before? Could it possibly have to do with downloading SP2 from Microsoft and it terminated in the middle because of an error? Or could this be a virus? I'm going to go investigate on Microsofts website..

I suggest that before you do anything else - use the Microsoft Support offer!

Insist on talking with someone who knows what they are talking about.
Someone elses restore disk will not work unless it is the exact same computer with exactly the same components!

You would need a Complete new installation disk - not even an upgrade disk will work.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 October 2005 - 02:20 AM.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 02:30 AM

Do you have a system restore date from before you did all the things to your computer?

#15 blondshell

blondshell

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2005 - 10:53 AM

Danny!

I'm so sorry that you are still having problems with your computer. Ugh!

I have some happy news to report....I pressed the F4 key during start-up and it got me to the Safe Mode start-up option. (I just randomly started pressing the "F" keys with hopes some key would get me to Safe Mode--and F8 only got me to reboot options).

I started in Safe Mode and the screens prompted me to go to a recovery point prior to the installation of the security software. This did the trick! I have a functioning computer again!

I have backed up my files and I'm considering installing the Sony Recovery Disks to bring it back to it's original state & reinstalling my software and files. It sounds nice to have a clean start....

I hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users