Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backing up infected computer help me not reinfect new instal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 chapy

chapy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:23 PM

I want to reformat. I got a nasty variant of the TDSS/TDL3 rootkit. (link to my thread http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/328086/windows-now-says-i-have-3-days-for-activation-after-virus-scanremoval/ .)

(I have a lot of time on my hands right now so my mind is made up thumbup2.gif ) I want to back up some of my files onto cds and dvds. what files should I avoid and what files are ok to back up with out fear of reinfection. what about pdf? music? movies/videos? (avi wmv and mp4 or winrar archives that contain no .exe just videos.) also I would like to save my firefox bookmarks if possible. I notice that the back up bookmarks for firefox are saved with a json file extension file type. How safe would it be to back up this? or just use carbonite to back up my video and compressed rar videos.

Edited by chapy, 02 July 2010 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:57 PM

Well...I can't answer your question...but it appears to me that Boopme has already answered that, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1824861.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users