Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

*PLEASE help me replace hinges on Laptop screen

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 02:18 PM

Hi, I have a laptop HP Pavilion DV8110us. The hinges that hold up the LCD screen are worn out. My laptop is in the OPEN position now; taped to the table because it will close suddenly if not secured. The LCD screen itself is fine. Bezel has a crack.

I already got on Ebay the bezel. I called HP support to get the correct part # for the hinges. Twice they gave me the wrong part #.

THen they said I could always buy the entire screen for $400+. Forget that!!

I am going to attempt to fix / replace the parts myself. I looked on Youtube to see like a tutorial of someone actually taking apart the laptop and doing this task. Unfortunately, the laptops shown were different brands or model #'s....

* Does someone out there know of a video tutorial I can use for my specific model that will demonstrate how to replace these hinges (free please)?
* WHat are the part #'s for these hinges? I have seen some on Ebay that look like the right ones, but they mostly state they are for the model DV8000 so don't know if it matters that mine is a DV8110us....

* If no video tutorial is available, can someone list in detail and step by step what needs to be done, removed, etc?

I have been reading online for days now and it is unclear to me if it will be required to remove alot of parts in order to reach the hinges area.....Do I really need to take out the keyboard, hard drive, etc.?

NOTE: I believe if instructions are clear enough with easy terms and step by step, I can do this...even though I have never opened up a laptop. I did replace 2 power supplies units on 2 desktops once. But working on a desktop is more roomy than a laptop so I am a bit leary. I just cant afford to send this out for repair.

Info-

Product # EP404ua

I thank you all in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:31 PM

Hinge number should be:
403884-001

Number stamped on the parts: AMZK3000100 and AMZK3000200

Take it apart first and verify part numbers if you can.

Service manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00701888.pdf

EDIT: A pick set and a miniature screwdriver set of decent quality will make this a lot easier. WalMart has a Stanley pickset and a miniature screwdriver set that sctually work well (in yellow packaging). The pick set is nice for pulling up the bezels that have to come off to get at those hinges.

Edited by dpunisher, 02 July 2010 - 03:35 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 azyardies

azyardies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 AM

Posted 09 July 2010 - 01:03 AM

Thanks for the part number. I was uncertain it was this part and at least it is confirmed now....WHat about the actual installation of the hinges on the laptop. ANy ideas on a tutorial for this specific model. I am having a hard time. The manual you sent me does not go into details on step by step.

Hope someone out there can help with the how to part.
Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users