Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems entering BIOS

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 swalker25

swalker25

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:19 AM

I can't seem to get into my bios.

The bios screen goes by pretty fast, but I was able to catch that the F2 button is the one I need to hit. But no matter how I try to push it, the bios won't come up. I've tried a different keyboard and also a ps/2 keyboard, still nothing. I've also tried different buttons just in case, ie F3, F10, F12, delete, esc, etc.

Here's the reason why I need to get into the bios: I'm trying to install a new cd-rom. Right now, I have 1 HDD and 1 cd-rom, both of which are SATA drives. The new cd-rom drive I'm trying to install is IDE. I installed the new drive and everything worked fine, but now when I try to boot the computer, it is trying to boot from the cd-rom IDE drive and I'm getting a boot failure error. If I unplug the cd-rom IDE drive, the computer boots fine. So I'm assuming I just need to change the boot order in the BIOS and that should fix the problem.

Any ideas on how to get into the BIOS or different ways of fixing my boot problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swalker25

swalker25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:32 AM

So I got it to work.

I unplugged the IDE cd-rom drive completely and booted up, and the splash screen stayed on for longer and I was able to hit F2 and get into the BIOS. Not sure if unplugging the IDE drive actually did anything or maybe the computer was just being cranky and didn't want to do any work before the July 4th holiday.

I hooked the IDE drive back up and the BIOS still worked fine. I changed the boot order and now everything is a-ok and working.

*Walks away mumbling about stupid computers*

Edited by swalker25, 02 July 2010 - 11:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users