Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

quick question about uninstalling/re-installing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 3DimensionalEntity

3DimensionalEntity

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:55 AM

Hi if I want to uninstall my dvd drive via the device manager and re-install it how exactly would do it? I know I can go onto device manager, right click on the drive and click on uninstall but how would I then go about re-installing it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:17 AM

If you remove the device reference in Device Manager, Windows will re-instate it on the next hardware scan, which can occur automatically on next re-start, or you can initiate it yourself with the Scan for hardware changes option in Device Manager.

CD/DVD devices are usually just handled by the same Windows drivers that are utilised for hard drives, so it might not accomplish what you hope. Do you have a problem with the DVD drive?

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 3DimensionalEntity

3DimensionalEntity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:26 AM

yes basically for the past year or so it has not been able to read any dvds/cds and would just come up with the message please insert disc, I have only recently been trying to fix the problem, I have been in touch with microsoft who were very helpfull but unfortunatly unable to solve the issue, I have deleted upper and lower filters, tried microsoft fix it, reset the laptop back to factory settings, downloaded sp1&2, done an sfc scan, I was advised to see if there is a drive/firmware update on the drive from acer and i have only just (literaly 5mins ago) managed to get a response from them after emailing them on the 26th june and there is no update for my drive. I reset my laptop a few days ago and it still didnt work however the next day when I turned on my laptop I had a blue screen come up with a load of yellow writting on it but it disappeared to fast for me to be able to read any of it, it then restarted and suddenly the drive was reading the cd I had in the drive, next time it was turned off and back on it didn't work again, it was then coming up with E application not found then yesterday it started working and today it was back to E application not found I restarted my laptop and the message is back to please insert disc.

#4 3DimensionalEntity

3DimensionalEntity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:28 PM

ok ive managed to sort out the E apllication not found issue this is how i did it

Open regedit, Start>All Programs>Run, type regedit.

Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

Search for MountPoint2

Then delete the registry folder

found this on another site but the drive still wont read the cd/dvds i put in it, i dont believe its a hardware problem for the simple fact that it worked yesterday for some reason and it worked after i had that blue screen come on, its the most its worked in the past year but just cant seem to get it to work constantly, is there anything else that i can safely delete from regedit that might be causing me problems or do you have any other suggestions?

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

If you haven't already tried this, just to confirm that the drive can in fact physically read discs, select the DVD as first boot device and try to boot up from a bootable CD or DVD (preferably try both), such as XP/Vista install disc, Linux Live CD/DVD. That makes sure the drive doesn't have a mechanical/electronic fault that's causing the problem.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 3DimensionalEntity

3DimensionalEntity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:29 AM

I don't have a vista cd so I can't do that, it does definatly read discs because 2 days ago it managed to work and I was playing on a game I had in the drive without any problems but when I turned it off and back on it stopped working and then the same again last night so I don't think its a mechanical fault

#7 3DimensionalEntity

3DimensionalEntity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:03 AM

anyone got any other suggestions?

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:18 PM

If you remove your dvd drive it should automatically be detected upon next reboot.

#9 3DimensionalEntity

3DimensionalEntity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

yeah I've tried that no luck either

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users