Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When to use the product key during a Windows XP reinstallation?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davidTT

davidTT

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:46 AM

I just used a Windows XP home edition CD to reinstall my friend's computer which originally had XP Pro. The problem is that I found out that his product key (on a sticker on the side of his dell computer) that came with the XP Pro CD will not work on XP Home. Also, from what I have read the install process is supposed to ask you for the product key but that didn't happen until after the computer was restarted after the installation was complete. Now when I go through the activation process it asks whether I would like to activate the install over the internet or the telephone. After looking up that process on the internet it seems that internet choice does not ask you for the product key nor does the telephone choice (you get a confirmation number but I am not sure if that would suffice as the product key.) i really don't want to give him the product key for the XP home, it's bad enough I gave him a copy, it would be worse if I gave him the XP home product key.

What I am asking; is how do I validate the computer without using the XP home product key? Will the activation over the internet use a copy of the XP Home product key or can I use the product key on the side of the computer for the telephone activation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 06:52 AM

XP Home and XP Pro...are two different versions of Windows.

The licenses issued for use of one...are not applicable to install/use of the other.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users