Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer 4715z Wireless Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Lnksyr

Lnksyr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:34 AM

I bought an Acer 4715z notebook a few years ago that came with Vista installed on it. I hated Vista and didn't want it on my computer, so I replaced it with a copy of XP Pro. Obviously, I had to download XP drivers for many things, which I did, and the only remaining problem was the wireless. At the time wireless wasn't too important to me, since I have a desktop that's wired most of the time, so I just let it slide.

Now, I just moved into a new apartment and can't use my desktop. My roommates bought a wireless router, so I figured it was time to fix the wireless problem with my Acer. The computer shows the wireless adapter as enabled and I even get a popup saying there are wireless networks in the area, but when I go to connect to one, there are none listed.

After a couple hours of messing around, I've come to the conclusion that you can only access the Atheros wireless adapter in the notebook with the Acer enet program. There are no XP versions of this program available for the 4715z because the xp version requires an Intel wireless adapter. Finally, my question is: Is there any third party software I can use to access the adapter? I know something like this exists for Linux, but I can't find anything for XP. If not, is there ANY other way to get this adapter to connect to the network, or should I just go buy another adapter?

Thanks in advance to anyone kind enough to help me with this problem, I really appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users