Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fin Scan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 charleg

charleg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

My antivirus program keeps blocking this Fin Scan on a daily basis a week now. Anybody know what this is and how I can stop it? I couldn't find any information on this site about it. I have had this happen before in the past but it stopped for a long time and just started up again. Should I raise my security settings higher?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:39 PM

TCP FIN Scan

Hackers use the TCP FIN scan to identify listening TCP port numbers based on how the target device reacts to a transaction close request for a TCP port (even though no connection may exist before these close requests are made). This type of scan can get through basic firewalls and boundary routers that filter on incoming TCP packets with the Finish (FIN) and ACK flag combination. The TCP packets used in this scan include only the TCP FIN flag setting.

If the target device's TCP port is closed, the target device sends a TCP RST packet in reply. If the target device's TCP port is open, the target device discards the FIN and sends no reply. Figure 4 shows the TCP flags field when the FIN scan is used.

http://support.novell.com/techcenter/articles/nc2001_03.html

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:40 AM

It sound to me that there is something on your computer trying to gather information and calling home. IMHO I would run a complete virus scan with your antivirus, Super Anti Spyware, Malwarebytes anti malware. I'm no expert but running these scans can't hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users