Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help - My Search On My Computer(start)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shai

shai

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:06 AM

hello,

first time that i have entered a site like this...i was wondering if someone could help me with a problem i have been having lately.
my search 'wizard' or program (i.e, the search that appears on the 'start' list) that helps search programs, files, movies, etc on one's computer, is not working.
i can open the program, but it doesn't have any place in the program to write anything....i can't proform any search, because there is no place to write anything.

thanks for any help.

shai

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HappyShiner

HappyShiner

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:48 PM

Hi there,

this is an issue routed in eityher of two places...1) malware 2) file corruption.

Please do the following:

Start > Run > copy and paste in:
sfc /scannow
Click 'OK'
You will need your XP/2000*Grinler disk. If you don't have it and instead only have a recovery CD, there is a work around. View the following link for a tutorial:

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

sfc - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

If that has not solved the issue...then please run a free online malware scan with Panda:

Panda ActiveScan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan
Make sure you tick Disinfect automatically under Scan Options

Save the log of the scan and if it has detected anything more then tracking cookies....paste it in to your next post ...let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

Big Smiles

HS

#3 clank

clank

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:14 PM

Hi shai
Ive just been doing the very same thing you want to do, on my computer,
I think you may want to go one step further when you have the little box up that askes the question WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SEARCH FOR,
Then there is a list of things like Pictures, documents, files and folders, Just click on whatever topic you want to search on and another little page comes up woth two search boxes, Hope that what you want Clank

#4 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 18 October 2005 - 05:11 AM

Had the same (or similar) problem. Nothing shy of a wipe and re-load ended up working.
If that is the route you choose don't forget to burn off anything you don't want to lose!!

good luck to ya

Bob :thumbsup:
Where ever you go.................. There you are

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users