Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creative Zen Vision M

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

So I finally brought my real old Creative ZVM back to life by replacing the battery. Everything worked fine. I figured I might as well update the firmware since the thing is 5 years old. As I was doing that, with the progress bar all the way over to the right, freaking Windows Explorer crashed. I got the "Windows Explorer has stopped working message". Now the mp3 is acting like its battery is dead, but I know that's not the case.

Plugging into a USB doesn't do anything other than make the power light blink. Plugging into a wall outlet turns the CREATIVE flash screen/intro on and lights everything up, then everything goes dead and the battery icon is blinking in the top right, only it's red instead of green.

Is it safe to assume that Windows Explorer just murdered my mp3 player?

EDIT-Turning it "on" while plugged into the wall outlet actually made it "rebuild" itself. It's now back to the same song that was playing before I turned it off to upgrade the firmware. However, that same battery icon (empty flashing battery that is red instead of the normal green) is there. I'm going to be guardedly optimistic here and hope that all is good and it just needs a long charge.

Edited by tsquared56, 01 July 2010 - 07:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

Did you fully charge the new battery after you replaced it? If not, you should give it a long charge, preferably on the wall charger, before doing anything else with it -- although I don't think that should have caused your Explorer problem.

Edited by Capn Easy, 01 July 2010 - 07:59 PM.

#3 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:42 PM

The new battery was fully charged when I put it in. I'm a little confused as to why the Windows Explorer problem would kill the battery, though.

I checked and the Firmware WAS updated (at least the ZVM's system/info folder lists the version as the version i just updated to). But I don't know why the battery went from good to dead because of that.

Plugged in, the battery icon is full(green) with a plug in it. Turning the ZVM off from this point simply turns everything black. Removing the charger gives me a popup that says LOW BATTERY then it goes off....it's as if I cannot charge it.

It's almost as if I need to replace the battery again. This is exactly how it reacted when I found it in the box from when we moved - except at that point the battery had been dead for at least 2 years. Not the case here.

Edited by tsquared56, 01 July 2010 - 08:44 PM.

#4 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:30 PM

Another day, another revelation.

I dont think the firmware is compatible with the battery since it worked until I upgraded the firmware. I'm now at the point where I am copying and transferring everything currently on the ZVM and putting it on my desktop's hard drive and I'm hoping I can reformat the ZVM through windows explorer. If someone wants to talk me out of that, go right ahead, but even if I totally bleep this player up, it's something I hadn't used in 3 years and just found while unpacking boxes after our move LAST summer. It's already a paperweight, so I doubt I can screw this up moreso than it already is. :thumbsup:

#5 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 01:58 AM

Have you tried a simple reset of the ZV:M by using a paper clip to hit the switch in the little hole by the cable connector on the bottom?

For info on how to reset to factory specs, clean-up or re-boot the ZV:M you can find directions at Creative's support page. The instructions are pretty clear, but be sure to heed the warnings about formatting (make sure you have copies of your music files) or reloading the Operating System (a dangerous step -- make sure you're thoroughly familiar with the process -- I haven't had to do anything like this).

#6 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:14 AM

I can't reset it because the battery is unable to hold a charge. As soon as I unplug the adapter out of the bottom, I get a LOW BATTERY warning and the unit shuts down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users