Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't see jpgs on CD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 John25

John25

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:48 PM

Lightning fried my Intel motherboard. After replacing it with an AMD MB I had to load Vista Business as I had lost my Product Code for the XP Prodowngrade that was originally loaded on the computer.

I have a CD of irreplaceable photos that I can only access a few of. The CD was generated when the computer was running the XP Pro Op Sys.

Eight (8) folders appear when the CD is loaded but several of them indicate that there are no files in them, even though I had placed files in them originally. Those that show files indicate a total of about 74 MEG. But when I query the CD properties it says that I have used about 656 Meg. I suspect that the other photos are there but the system does not see them.

Can you help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

Are all of the files accessible on another computer? If not then the fault is with the CD not your computer.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 John25

John25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

Platypus,
Another Vista computer did not see the files either.

Is there any method or software that can fix the problem with the CD?
John

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 08:36 PM

If you can, just as a final process of elimination, try accessing the CD on a system using an OS prior to Vista. I doubt if that's the problem, but it's just possible the burning software on your previous system did something odd with writing the multi-session disc, and Vista is being picky and not correctly seeing all the sessions on the CD.

If you do need to try for file recovery, a Google search will show a lot of options. Well known standards for example IsoBuster (shareware) and CDCheck (freeware). Most reputable download sites offer many possibilities, eg Majorgeeks:

http://majorgeeks.com/downloads38.html

#5 John25

John25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2010 - 05:46 PM

Platypus,
I have looked at both CD check and IsoBuster and down-loaded the freeware version of IsoBuster.

It displayed the missing files but would not fix unless I bought it.

I have ordered it and will let you know if it works.

Thanks for your recommendations.
John

#6 John25

John25
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

Platypus,
Got the unlock key and the program recovered all of the photos including videos.

Thanks again for recommending the IsoBuster program.
John

:huh:

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,690 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:32 PM

That's great news! Glad you got a good result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users